NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BATH HOUSE Gt. YARMOUTH B index
17 MARINE PARADE
St. GEORGES ROAD
St. GEORGES WARD FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1987
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953) & PS 18/14/2 - PS 18/14/3 (1953 - 1980)
LACON & Co
WHITBREAD
Licensees :
-  
CHARLES TAYLOR
Went to WHITE LION, Norwich by 1830
undated
-  
SAMUEL WALKER BLY 1831 - 1850
JAMES W. BLY (47) 1851
SAMUEL WALKER BLY 1854 - 1860
MATTHEW H. WINDER by 06.1860 - 1865
Miss M A BAYES prop.  1867 - 1868
BAYES & COLK
(George Colk 1871)
1869 - 1875
Miss MARY ANN BAYES
manageress ?
1872, 1877 & 1892
GEORGE COLK 1877 - 1894
EDWIN JOHN WINDLER
manager
1900
JOHN HEWSON
 manager
1901
ALBERT WALKER by 1903
EDMUND HEARN 20.05.1904
JAMES BANHAM 19.05.1908
HARRY EDWARD FEEK 02.06.1910
HANNAH CECILIA FEEK 31.10.1933
TOM JEFFRIES 11.05.1937
HARRY BURGESS 02.07.1940
TOM JEFFRIES 09.07.1946
PERCY JAMES PERRIN 07.12.1954
LINDSEY HARRY PERKS 17.12.1957
-  


Mary Bayes was a servant and housekeeper here in 1861.
By 1867 it seems she had taken over.
 The BATH HOUSE - c1895
c1895

Built in 1759 at a cost of £2000.
Opened as a bath house 19th May 1760.
Ballroom added in 1788, this was later converted to a billiards hall.

A Mr Allen was proprietor at the end of the eighteenth century, he died in 1796. The house was known as Allens during his era.

Given as the BATH HOTEL from 1835.

10th April 1841 - Thanking the Nobility and Gentry for their Liberal Support over the previous ten years, Mr. Bly advised that he could offer Accommodation equal to any other Lodging House or Hotel upon the Beach and had Two detached Cottages to Let Furnished.

On the evening of 23rd February 1843 Miss Bassingthwaight gave the first Juvenile Ball at the Bath Rooms. The event was very well attended and kept up to great spirit til a late hour the following morning. There was a merry dance to the band of Mr. Cotton and excellent provision was made by the proprietors, Mr. and Mrs. Bly.

Miss Bayes was awarded £4 10s, to be paid by Mr. Smeeth (ex landlord of the Royal Hotel) at a hearing held Wednesday 20th March 1860.
Miss Bayes had let a furnished house, situated in Kimberley Terrace, to Mr. Smeeth. It was furnished  and when he departed left in February some articles were damaged an a ton of coal had been used.

Matthew H. Winder announced 30th June 1860 that he had taken the house, as well as continuing to run the NORFOLK. The Bath Hotel had been entirely refurbished. Servants were charged for in bills.

Address as South Beach in 1854.
As Marine Parade in 1846 & 1865
37 Bath Place 1891

Closed for the duration of WWII according to a letter dated 26.07.1940.
Reopened 01.06.1946.

 


c1950


See p.115 & 116 of `Gt. Yarmouth Archive Photos ' pub 1995