NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BLACK LION Gt. YARMOUTH B index
QUEEN STREET
GAOL STREET
St GEORGES WARD - CLOSED
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953)
PAGET & Co  
Licensees :
-  
-  
GEORGE WICKS here Feb 1813 - 1819
JOHN YOUNG 1822
MARY BRUNNING 1830
Mrs Elizabeth Morse 1834
MARY BRUNNING 1836
WILLIAM McCLUER 1839
FREDERICK HOWLETT
(as given by Hunt in 1850)
The 1851 census records him as a Publican (21) in Gaol Street - but does not name premises.
1850
SILAS MERCHANT (36)
Located at the Black Lion Tavern according to the census.
1851
JOHN FULCHER
Age 58 in 1871
1854 - 1872
Application for transfer of licence from old house granted 10th September 1861
WILLIAM REEVE LODGE 1875
CHARLES DOWNING 1877 - 1879
uninhabited 1881
THOMAS JENKERSON 1883
-  

 
At 2:00am on Saturday 23rd October 1802 a fire broke out on the ground floor. After four hours of timely assistance the fire was extinguished.

Although George Wicks is named at the house as licensee 1813 to at least 1819, in December 1813, the house is described as `the house of Moses Sampson, known as the Black Lion'. (Owner?)

The Good Fishing Vessel
LITTLE SAM (45 tons)
along with her Stores and Materials
was sold here by auction
21st August 1818

Address as Gaol Street in 1830

15th February 1834 - Offered to Let
Apply to Mrs Elizabeth Morse at the Aforesaid Tavern, where every information can be obtained.

Lot No. 11 in the Sale by Auction of the Estate of the late John Preston, held Monday 11th May 1855. Occupant not named.