NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
DOVER PACKET Gt. YARMOUTH D index
GAOL STREET corner of FRIARS' LANE NELSON WARD - CLOSED
PAGET & Co As given 1819 & 1824
STEWARD, PATTESON, FINCH & Co from 1845
Licensees :
-  
-  
JAMES LARK 1819 - 1824
JOHN RACKHAM 1830
CHARLES DOY 1836
JONAS BARNES 1839
JONATHAN ROUSE
age 58 in 1851
1850 - 1856
Mrs SARAH ROUSE 1858
ROBERT DRANE
& fish merchant
1861
JOHN SINNETT 1863 - 1864
MARY A TRIPP
Age 50
1871
   
   

 
Lot No. 20 in the sale of Sixteen Freehold Public Houses in Yarmouth and Gorleston, held Saturday 25th September 1830.
Location given as well situated on the corner of Gaol Street, next Friars' Lane. Land tax value £1 3s 6d.

Possession from Christmas 1830.

Part of the Paget Brewery Estate sold by auction 12th and 13th December 1844. Location given as Gaol Street.


Conveyed 23rd August 1845 by Samuel Paget & Others to George Morse, Timothy Steward, Peter Finch and Henry Staniforth Patteson.


In November 1851 the rating assessment was raised from £9 to £19 per annum.

John Massingham was found guilty on Thursday 24th August 1854 for an unprovoked assault on landlady Sarah Rouse and was fined 20s and 22s costs and for damage to her clothes.

Two youngsters of about 13 years of age, Charles Roberts and Maria Riches were charged in August 1858 of stealing a pair of boots. They had entered the house in the company of another lad named Colby and partook of a pint of beer. The theft was discovered by Mrs. Rouse an hour or two later and the boots were found on the feet of the girl. Remanded for one week.........

Mrs Gunn occupied several rooms of the house in (August) 1864 and sub-let one room, semi-furnished to Maria Smith. Mrs Gunn's daughter was married to the licensee but he is unfortunately not named in a court case concerning the theft of theft of two pillows, two sheets and a blanket. Maria Smith was sentenced to Three Months' hard labour and her accomplice Prudence Layton received Six Weeks.

In December 1864, the sum of £700 was awarded to Steward & Patteson since the site of the Dover Packet was required to allow widening of Friars' Lane.

Address as South Street 1851
Fryars Lane in 1856
Friars Lane 1858 & 1861


DOVER PACKET TAVERN, South Street according to 1871 census

Formerly the DUKES HEAD according to S&P records.