NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
COCK / MIDDLEGATE TAVERN Gt. YARMOUTH C index
M index
76 MIDDLEGATE STREET
GAOL STREET
NELSON WARD BEERHOUSE later FULL LICENCE   CLOSED 1940
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 - Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953)
LACON & Co as given from 1819
Licensees :
JOHN EDWARDS 1819 - 1824
LUCY EDWARDS 1830
ROBERT CHAPMAN 1836 - 1839
DENNIS CHAPMAN 1845 - 1854
JAMES PASTON 1854 - 1869
Fined 5s for trading on Sunday 27th January 1861 at illegal hours.
JOHN OSBORNE 1871 - 1886
Mrs. MARY ANN MARTIN 1890 - 1892
JOHN J. SMITH 1896 - 1901
CHARLES NESLEN by 1903
EDITH LAURA NESLEN 19.06.1914
THOMAS WILSON SWEETING 15.11.1921
FRANK SYDNEY CLOVER 05.01.1926
HAROLD FRANCIS REILLY 11.09.1928
WILLIAM CHARLES JAMES MOXEY 05.04.1938
SIDNEY WILLIAM BUCKLE 24.10.1939

See p. 45 of `Gt. Yarmouth As It Was' - pub. 1973

See p. 45 of `Gt. Yarmouth In Old Photographs' pub 1994


The COCK TAVERN in directories 1819 - 1869 and 1908 - 1933.

The `Ancient Cock Tavern' in 1822

At the licensing Sessions held 2nd September 1862 the application for a (full) licence by Richard Ferrier was refused.

At the sessions held Tuesday 15th August 1864, Mr. Ferrier, for the brewers, applied for a full licence - application refused. The application was in the name of MIDDLEGATE TAVERN and 12 magistrates considered the matter.

At the licensing session Monday 28th August 1865 a full licence was again applied for. It was stated that the house once held a full licence but it had been removed to another house. The application was made knowing that it had been refused for `many years'.
Two of the twelve magistrates fully supported the application. Mr. J. Pullyn saying that he would licence 500 houses and thought that the whole system should be `thrown open'. Mr. J. Owles echoed the call. Application rejected.

The MIDDLEGATE TAVERN in directories 1879 - 1900 and 1934 - 1937.

74 Middlegate Street 1881 & 1886

The licence registers suggest that the house became officially known as the Middlegate Tavern in the 1920's.

Included with proposal discussed June 1937, for E. Lacon & Co. to exchange four public houses in return for the Corporation conveying 1) a piece of land, with a frontage of 200 feet, to Marine Parade, Gorleston, at the south-east corner of Bridge Road and 2) a piece of land having a frontage of 150 feet to North Drive and similar frontage to Jellicoe Road, Great Yarmouth and 3) a piece of land having 55 feet 1 inch frontage to South Beach Parade and 31 feet to Dickens Avenue. It was expected that three of the licences would be conveyed to the new sites and the fourth licence awarded to an existing beerhouse. (PRINCE CONSORT)
Although the Chief Constable objected and members of the committee opposed the Dickens Avenue proposal, the Mayor pointed out that otherwise Lacons would have to be paid compensation for the loss of going concerns and the matter had been considered by the Council for many months. The Council had a fair bargain and nothing could stand in the way of the development of the clearance areas concerned.

Licence removed to the IRON DUKE 27.08.1940.