NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
STAR HOTEL Gt. YARMOUTH S index
Star Index
25 HALL QUAY
ROW 62
REGENT WARD FULL LICENCE. -
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953) & PS 18/14/2 (1953 - 1973) & PS 18/14/3 (1973 - 1980)
SAMUEL JAMES RAMSEY   
HENRY TAYLOR Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton given as Mortgagees.
HENRY GREENLAND of Hereford
STAR HOTEL Co. Ltd. Given in Kelly's 1934 directory as Star Hotel, Gt. Yarmouth (1930) Ltd.
NORFOLK & SUFFOLK HOTELS Ltd. after 1937
TRUMAN, HANBURY & BUXTON From 1948 according to 1949 edition of Trumans Black Eagle Journal              (Thanks to Alex Wilkinson)
.     
Licensees :
   
Mr VINCENT
(Died 30th August 1783)
to 08.1783
Mrs VINCENT to 02.1786
WILLIAM SHREEVE
(Star Tavern)
1791
? 1802 - 1823
GEORGE BENNETT 1827
THOMAS GRIMLEY 1830
WILLIAM BIRD
went to ROYAL HOTEL
1832 - 1840
MARY PESTELL
age 56 in 1851
1840 - 1856
GEORGE H DIVER 1861 - 1863
WILLIAM SHALES
farmer & hotel keeper
1865 - 1886
HENRY JAMES LANE
(As James Lane in 1896)
1888 - 1896
SAMUEL JAMES RAMSEY by 1900
HENRY TAYLOR 15.04.1904
JANE CREEDEN TAYLOR 02.02.1915
ROBERT AUGUSTUS CUDDEFORD 15.06.1917
CHARLES WILLIAM COOPER 13.06.1919
WALTER JAMES OLDMAN 17.07.1928
(PERCY WOODGER - manager ?) (1929)
THOMAS WALTER WARREN 04.11.1930
WALTER JAMES OLDMAN 19.05.1931
GEORGE LESLIE BENNETT 08.03.1946
ALFRED ERNEST COLLINS
(Mr. P F D Brookes - appointed manager 1949)
06.04.1948
CHARLES HENRY MEGGS 06.12.1949
CHARLES HENRY MEGGS &
ORESTE ALBERTO BONDI
03.11.1959
MAURICE EDWARD FULLER &
ORESTE ALBERTO BONDI
09.02.1962
RAYMOND HUGH BURCHETT &
ORESTE ALBERTO BONDI
13.02.1970
JOHN ROBERT BURNO &
ORESTE ALBERTO BONDI
05.02.1971
ALEXANDER EDGAR GRANT &
ORESTE ALBERTO BONDI
24.05.1973
ALEXANDER EDGAR GRANT &
PETER GODWYN BONDI
08.02.1974
EDWARD ALGIE &
PETER GODWYN BONDI
14.02.1975
DOUGLAS WILLIAM PLUMMER 19.05.1977
   
   
-  


Hotel founded 1660
Listed as an inn from 1750.

Said to originally been the home of 
Lord President Bradshaw who presided at the trial of Charles I.

Star Tavern & Coffee House 1783
Mrs Vincent (widow) announced 16th March 1786 that she had left her house at the Quay and removed to the STAR TAVERN, at the Corner of New Broad Row, in Gaol Street - Taking the old Billiard Table with her.

Nelson visited here in 1800 and a painting of the event was exhibited at the International Exhibition of 1862.

Carved oak panelling from the `Nelson Room' was removed in 1813.
The panels dating from c1600.
This found its way to the USA and the room
eventually re-created in the New York Metropolitan Museum.

Advertised for sale July 1823, having been run for the past 21 years by the proprietor who was leaving solely on account of his health.

Advertised for sale 28th April 1827 and 6th & 13th October 1827
With a frontage (with a portico) of 35 feet, depth 200 feet, with six front sitting-rooms, (coffee-room and superb dining room included), 12 bed-rooms, with the capability of adding 6 at a small expence, spacious bar, kitchen adjoining, store-rooms, water closet, and other conveniences, tap-room with bar, parlour, and bed-room attached, capital stabling for 10 horses, granary, hay and straw chamber, carriage, gig and harness houses, stable yard, &c. Including a newly built Brew-house (An advantage enjoyed by no other Inn, in Yarmouth).

Bankrupt George Bennett assigned his assets to whitesmith Samuel Sherrington, wine & liquor merchant William Holmes Diver and merchant Samuel Browne on 15th September 1827.

For sale by auction Saturday 10th September 1831.
A Freehold property in the most perfect state of repair.
(The description following being exactly the same as when offered to let the following month.)

Offered to let 22nd October 1831 with immediate possession, including attached Brewery. Described as `comprising coffee room, commercial room, and many other sitting rooms, fronting Yarmouth Quay, numerous good bedrooms and capital attics, and has the largest private cellars in the town of Yarmouth. The Brewery, which has been lately erected, on the best principle, is capable a great deal of business; the Tap adjoining the Brewery is much frequented, and may be let under great advantage. The Coach Houses and Stables are extremely good and conveniently situated at the back of the inn with communication to Howard Street.'

About 50 principal merchants and farmers attended the corn market, held here 23rd February 1832. In return for the accommodation offered by the spirited landlord, Mr. Bird, the traders dined together and such was the excellence of the dinner and wines, the civility and attention of the landlord, and the conviviality and harmony that prevailed, that the company remained till a late hour. (Mr. Bird had recently taken on the house.)

Advertised August 1835 To Let or For Sale with Possession at Michaelmas.

To Let with immediate possession March 1839.
With Extensive Stabling, Tap and Brewery.

Mr. Bird took over the new ROYAL HOTEL by June 1840.
Mary Pestell announced 27th June 1840 that having taken over the STAR HOTEL, she was Impressed with Gratitude, for the Favours conferred on her since she had entered the Old-established House.

On Wednesday 15th May 1844 Miss Pestell, the fair hostess, received an order, which arrived at four o'clock by railway telegraph, to provide dinner for 10 or 12 persons at five o'clock precisely, with the fish course being specially requested as mackerel. The Gentlemen arrived at the appointed time and were served their expected meal in Miss Pestell's usual style of neatness and comfort, in the fine old carved room so much admired for its great antiquity. The Gentlemen by train at eight o'clock, quite delighted with their splendid entertainment.


Address as Short Quay in 1836, 1850 & 1854.
57 Howard Street in 1896.
(Site was on the NW corner of Row 67
- Howard Street to Hall Quay).

Dental surgeons Suggett and Dunsford professionally attended the Star Hotel on the First Monday of Every Month as advertised January 1866.

Given as the STAR HOTEL VAULTS from 1896 to 1929.

The STAR HOTEL relocated in premises next door, which had been the Cromwell Temperance Hotel. The licence was transferred from the Old Star to the New Star in September 1930.

Original house demolished in 1934 to allow building of an extension to the Post Office.

 

See p. 35 of `Gt. Yarmouth - Archive Photographs ' - Pub 1995

See p. 70 of `Gt. Yarmouth In Old Postcards - Vol 1 ' - pub. 1990
(Cromwell Hotel)