NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WINDSOR TAVERN Gt. YARMOUTH W index
34 MIDDLEGATE STREET
33 GAOL STREET
St. GEORGES  WARD BEERHOUSE CLOSED by 27.10.1921
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTER Y/CJ/31 (February 1903 - February 1928)
LACON & Co  
Licensees :
-  
-  
WILLIAM BLOOMFIELD PYE
& fish merchant
(Age 28 in 1861 - Fish curer at 46 Market Road)
1863 - 1864
WILLIAM GEORGE 1866
WILLIAM HALLIDAY
& upholsterer
1868 - 1869
CHARLES TOOLEY
Age 43
1871
WILLIAM FITZGERALD * 1875
JOHN PLATTEN * 1879
THOMAS WILLIAM BENSLEY
& carpenter
1881 - 1885
WILLIAM TEMPLE 1886
Mrs PRISCILLA TEMPLE 1890 - 1892
WILLIAM TEMPLE by 1896
JAMES ROBINSON 03.06.1910
MARY MARGARET ROBINSON 02.02.1917
JOHN SMITH 13.06.1919
to closure 1921


At the licensing sessions held Thursday 2nd September 1852, Mr. Hilling applied for a licence for the WINDSOR CASTLE.
The applicant was the Town Surveyor and presented a numerous and respectably signed memorial from the local inhabitants in favour. It was a new district and a great deal of money had been spent in making a bowling green and rendering the place salubrious and attractive which before had been unhealthy and offensive.
Following discussion, five of the magistrates were for the application and five against. It was claimed that the Mayor had the casting vote and he was one of the five in favour, he however, refused to decide alone. With that, one of the other magistrates withdrew his support and left the room. The application was thus refused.

33 Middlegate Street 1863, 1875, 1879 & 1886

WINDSOR CASTLE 1881

Referred to Compensation 4th March1921.

Decision to close by Compensation made 8th July 1921

Licence expired 27th October 1921