NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WRESTLERS Gt. YARMOUTH N index
W index
7 CHURCH PLAIN
MARKET PLACE
  St NICHOLAS WARD FULL LICENCE See HARDY'S
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 & Y/CJ/32 ( February 1903 - February 1953 ) & PS 18/14/2-3 ( 1953 - 1980 )
PAGET & Co 1824
LACON & Co by 1903
WHITBREAD  
-  
Licensees :
-  
-  
JOHN ORTON
declared bankrupt  December 1783
( 3.5 years remaining on lease )
to Dec 1783
JOHN SUCKLING 1791
-  
Mr. HARVEY Here August 1817
JOHN ATKINSON
( At the Nelson Hotel in 1819 )
January  1819  - 1824
JAMES DUBLACK 1830
THOMAS WILLIS 1836 - 1839
CHARLES HART 1839
CHARLES WESTON 1844 -1846
CHARLES LUBBOCK
( Brewer at Colby's Opening 1851 - age 37 )
1850
JOHN B. BALES 1854
ROBERT WATSON
Died Q4 1857
1856 - 1857
Mrs HANNAH WATSON 1858
JOHN FRY COLE
& hairdresser
1861 - 1875
WILLIAM BURROWS 1879
GEORGE BROWN 1881 - 1901
GEORGE THOMAS FISKE by 1903
Convicted 26.05.1919 of contravention of the Betting Act 1853.
Fine £20 plus 7/- costs or 2 months detention.
THOMAS LEAK 15.08.1919
JAMES BANHAM 07.11.1933
SAMUEL GEORGE DAVID PARKER 19.12.1933
SIDNEY WILLIAM BUCKLE 05.04.1938
ROBERT THOMAS NICHOLLS
( as Robert Nichols 1956 )
05.07.1938
JAMES REGINALD FARLEY 10.02.1956
HERBERT WILLIAM COBON 03.11.1959
JOHN ROBERT GILBERT TRAYNIER 28.10.1976
DAVID JOHN YERRELL 20.12.1976
-  
-  

4th September 1997
September 1997

Referenced 1674, 1691 & 1774.

In 1764 it was the termination point for the `Flying Coach on steel springs' run by Job Smith between Gt. Yarmouth and Norwich.

ALLDAY & KERRISON announced that in pursuance of his Majesty's Proclamation, they would be at the house Wednesday 1st May 1776 to exchange deficient gold coin, coined before 5th January 1772. Guineas, Half Guineas and Quarter Guineas would be exchanged for new coins, provided they were within weight limits.

Known as the NELSON HOTEL for some 20 years after Nelson had landed in Yarmouth 06.11.1800 following return from the 
`Battle of the Nile'.

John Atkinson announced 16th January 1819 that he had taken the Inn.

On 20th December 1823, John Atkinson announced that he had again entered the Inn.

Reduced in size during the 1800's.

The WRESTLERS TAP was on the North side of Row 20 leading from Howard Street to the Market Place.
Given as the WRESTLERS TAP, Two Necked Swan Row in 1830.

Wrestlers Plain became Brewery Plain then Church Plain.

Rebuilt after 1945 following damage by enemy action 07.05.1943.

Renamed HARDY'S February 1993.

Back to the WRESTLERS 1997.

Closed and for sale by 2013, a Chartered Accountants office by 2014