NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BIRD IN HAND KINGS LYNN Index
19 NORFOLK STREET PARADISE WARD FULL LICENCE CLOSED c1986
KINGS LYNN PETTY SESSION REGISTERS PS 4/3/1 to 4/3/4 ( August 1872 to 1965 )
HOGGE & SEPPINGS Leased for 14 years from 11.10.1861
T. J. SEPPINGS  
JAMES SEPPINGS  
COLCHESTER BREWERY  
COOPER BROWN  
COLCHESTER BREWERY  
STEWARD & PATTESON  
WATNEY MANN  
Licensees :
-
JOHN LANGLEY
( b 1771 - d 1856 )
( J Lingley 1822 )
From c1803 
JOHN LANGLEY ( Junior )
age 33 in 1851
1851 - 1865
JOHN CURSON
& harness maker
by 1868
MARY CURSON 04.01.1892
JAMES ISLEY 11.04.1892
ARTHUR HENRY BULLEN 25.07.1892
JAMES CHARLES HENRY HALES c1905
GEORGE FRYETT 16.07.1906
EDWIN THACKER 22.07.1907
Fine of 10/- plus 8/- costs imposed 17.09.1906 for permitting drunkenness
THOMAS HOLDEN by 1922
ARTHUR CARNALL 04.07.1927
EUSTACE HORACE ATKINSON 06.01.1936
GEORGE EDWARD KIRBY 05.01.1948
SIDNEY DENITHORNE 02.10.1950
ALAN ROBERT MASTERS 07.01.1952
DENNIS HADLEY BOXALL 05.07.1954
RAYMOND CLARKSON 06.02.1956
ROBIN LEGGETT 03.10.1960
HEDLEY TANNER 1965
-  
-  
-  


1982 image thanks to David Apps.
January 1982 - Thanks to David Apps.

Licensee John Langley served with the 34th Company Marines Chatham Division from 1789. On March 5th 1791 he was stationed on the Chatham, an armed Royal Navy tender, sailing with HMS Discovery, which was under the command of the famed Captain George Vancouver. The voyage ended on October 20th 1795 having been to the Pacific and the West Coast of North America.
Vancouver Island was named on this trip.
John Langley received 12 lashes during the voyage for quarrelsome behaviour and was again punished for sleeping on watch. He was discharged from the marines in 1803, being described as worn out and unfit for service.
Mr Langley took on the Bird In Hand soon after leaving the marines, he married twice having 4 children with his first wife and a further 10 with his second wife, who he married in 1812.


 Damaged by enemy action 06.06.1942.

Demolished & site rebuilt by 1996.