NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CROWN HOTEL KINGS LYNN Kings Lynn index
Crown index
8 CHURCH STREET STONEGATE WARD FULL LICENCE CLOSED by August 1891
KINGS LYNN PETTY SESSION REGISTERS PS 4/3/1  ( August 1872 to 1902 )
EYRES    
JAMES HENRY FYSH of Stamford ( Free Trade )
THOMAS HEARLE of Walton on the Naze ( Free Trade )
Licensees :
-  
Mrs CYPRIAN REVNER to 1734
JOHN NATH
(Came from the Angel, Stilton, Huntingtonshire)
01.01.1735
-  
ROBERT NOAK 1743
-  
JAMES HOWLETT 1791 - 1805
-  
Mrs CRUSO 1813
-  
WILLIAM FILBY 1822 - 1836
HENRY BARNES
Died September 1852
1839 - 1850
Mrs. JEMIMA BARNES 1852
CHARLES BRISTOW
Age 41 in 1861
1854 - 1865
SAMUEL HYE -  & blacksmith
( Crown Tap)
( 1856 )
JANE HILL
( Crown Tap )
( 1863 )
Mr. SEAMAN
( Crown Tap )
( 1867 )
PETER WORSLEY 1869
WILLIAM HENRY PENISTAN by 1872
HENRY POLLARD 06.01.1873
ROBERT GEORGE HECKFORD 12.08.1878
GEORGE HECKFORD 13.10.1879
ALFRED COLLIER SHERIDAN 12.11.1888
WILLIAM EVANS LASSAM 19.05.1890


The ANGEL to 1577
given as the CROWN 1577, 1760 & as the
CROWN TAVERN 1830, 1846, 1882 1865 & 1888.
Address 1805 as Red Cow Street.

Described January 1735 as a `very commodious inn well situated in the Trading part of the town near the Great Church and the Saturday Market.'

Probably same as the CROWN INN offered to let 16th April 1743, then in the occupation of Mr. Robert Noak.

James Howlett informed his Friends and the Public, April 1805, that he had removed to his House in the Grass Market, formerly occupied by Mr. Collier Matland, and intended to carry on the Wine and Liquor Trade.

The unexpired Lease of 21 years from Michaelmas 1813 was offered for sale 31st July 1813. An excellent situation for business since not tied to any brewer or spirit merchant. The Furniture, Fixtures and Stock to be taken at an appraisement. Further details available from the tenant, Mrs Cruso.

Mr. Adams, cook to Mr. Filby of the Crown Tavern was committed to gaol Saturday 21st September 1833 for robbing his employer.

Address given as 8 Church Street in 1836 & 1845.
as 9 Church Street 1846
Later as 10 Church Street.

Offered To Let with Immediate Occupation 18th December 1852. With large Yards, Gardens, Bowling Green, lock-up Coach-houses, Gig-houses, extensive Stabling, Liquor Shop, Tap Room, Granaries, Store-rooms, Water Closets, large sunk Cellars, other convenient offices and outbuildings and about 15 Acres of Rich Pasture Land. Also a Brew-house on the premises and Hearse and Mourning Coaches, and an Omnibus to the Station.
Lately in occupation of Henry Barnes and then of his widow, who, from her precarious state of health, desired to relinquish the well-known establishment.

Martha Seaman, daughter of the keeper of the Church Street Crown Tap died Friday 15th March 1867. A verdict of `Death from apoplexy, occasioned by disease of the heart' was given at the inquest held at the Town Hall.

The house is advertised in Fiddaman's price list of 1883 giving George Heckford as `the efficient manager, late of the Salisbury Hotel, London.'
A commercial dinner was offered, served daily at 1:15pm.
On Tuesdays a Market Dinner was offered -
" Soup or fish, poultry, joints, sweets, cheese & ale at 2/6d per head ".
The billiard table was said to be refitted with new improved cushions.


Headquarters of the Tory Party c1884.

No application made for licence renewal 24th August 1891.

( Site became Johnson & Sons Garages )