NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FLOWER POT KINGS LYNN index
132 NORFOLK STREET
1 CHAPEL STREET
KETTLEWELL WARD FULL LICENCE CLOSED 03.02.1969
KINGS LYNN PETTY SESSION REGISTERS PS 4/3/1 to 4/3/4 ( August 1872 to 1965 )
CAROLINE MURRELL of London
WILLIAM MURRELL of Kings Lynn
T. E. BAGGE  
RICHARD LUDWIG BAGGE Bagges Brewery purchased by S&P in 1929.
STEWARD & PATTESON to 01.02.1969
WATNEY MANN closed 03.02.1969
Licensees :
WILLIAM HOWLETT
age 47
& greengrocer
* 1850 - 1856
AMBROSE MURRELL
& greengrocer
1858
Mrs CAROLINE MURRELL by 1858
JAMES AMBROSE MURRELL by 1868
JAMES BAILEY 24.11.1873
JOHN WILLIAM RINGWOOD 15.01.1906
GEORGE HENRY JOHNSON 08.04.1907
ROBERT WALTER WOODS 03.01.1910
WILLIAM SILLIS 02.10.1916
ERNEST EDWARD SILLIS 07.01.1918
CHARLES WILLIAM SIBLEY 24.02.1919
WILLIAM CHARLES MOORE 03.01.1926
HENRY STEPHEN KENDLE 02.07.1934
Convicted 02.09.1935 for selling out of hours - Fine 40/-
FRANK SYDNEY BUXTON 15.04.1946
HERBERT TIDMAN 06.10.1952
LESLIE VICTOR WADESON 12.04.1954
BERNARD BRIANT LEGG 01.10.1962
ROBERT MASTERSON 08.06.1964

According to the Norfolk Chronicle of 17th March 1906, Bagges Brewery asked the licensing Justices for one licence to replace those for the ANGEL and the FLOWER POT, on the corner of Chapel Street.
The application to combine the 2 houses under the name of the FLOWER POT was granted.

As 131 Norfolk Street in 1891 census an at
2 Chapel Street in Kellys 1933 directory.

The frontage was destroyed 1st August 1899 by a 40 horse hitch, possibly pulling a load for Barnum & Bailey's circus.
~
The Lynn News of 8th January 1910 reported that George Johnson had held the licence for three years without complaint. In the previous September a party of motorists on route from Grimsby to the Yarmouth races had lodged at the house for a few days. One of the travellers had wished to be out late one night so Mr Johnson had left his private door  unlocked. Police Constable Wilmore had observed lights on within the building and upon finding the door open had entered the premises in pursuance of his duties in order to warn the licensee of the unlocked door and to enquire as to why the lights were on so late. Upon leaving the premises constable was confronted with a police sergeant. PC Wilmore's record had not been altogether satisfactory so the sergeant reported him for being on the premises contrary to section 16 of the Licensing Act of 1872. The Watch Committee had consequently fined the constable £5 and taken away his good conduct stripes.
The owners, Messrs Bagge, had been informed and it was well known that those who owned licensed houses had to be exceedingly strict and not allow a tenant to remain should there be any irregular occurrence.
The Chief Constable opposed Mr Johnson gaining the licence of any other house in the area, but the bench considered that no case had been proven against Mr Johnson and approved transfer to the KINGS HEAD.

~

Market Day extension granted 1956.