NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
25 1 Page 2
of 5
5 IDENTIFIED HOUSES UNIDENTIFIED HOUSES index


Fine trees and a church in the background...
The KINGS ARMS  is to the right. 


08.04.2016 - Paul Fuller traces the image to
Charlton Horethorne, Somerset.


The house still apparently trading at DT9 4NL



 
The Queen's Hotel selling Salt & Co's ales.

Still stands on the junction of Queen's Road and Bourne Close in Bournemouth.
Apparently now known as the Pig & Whistle.


Paul Fuller identifies the house 28th April 2014.

The OLD BOROUGH ARMS ....

was on Chickerell Road, at corner of Tennyson road,  Weymouth.  Now called Moose Lodge.

David Fisher locates Feb 2013.




A gathering outside the Queens Hotel - John Brennan licensee.

This turns out to be at Manchester Road, Hollinwood, Oldham
.
Identified 21-10-12 by Nick Smith. 

Licensee John Brennan died in 1912.

The FOUR HORSESHOES
RAILWAY INN

Selling Peel's Noted 
India Pale Ales, Strong & Mild Ales,
Stout & Porter

Identified by Don Parry as at
Park Street, Thame, Oxon

 


James Howell
was licensee at this probable
Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs house.....

A fine investigation by Bunny Linford-Hazell
shows James Howell was running a beerhouse at 
North Common, Hepworth, Suffolk in 1881.
Age 58 in 1901 he was an Innkeeper at Hepworth
and was still there in 1912.

This identifies the BLACK HORSE, Hepworth.

 

Jonathan Harrison ran the CYCLISTS ARMS.

Possibly at FRECKLETON - LANCASHIRE
Can you confirm??

Mark Holton and Stewart Marsh confirm that this is Freckleton.
The house stood at Lytham Road and was previously the TEWITT ARMS.
The house and neighbouring school were destroyed in 1944 when a B29 Liberator crashed, attempting to land at Warton.
38 children were among the fatalities.

 




 

 

The GRIFFIN
W J Stevenson is licensee.

Another ID by
Bunny Linford-Hazell 25/10/2005

The GRIFFIN is at
FLETCHING - East Sussex
and still thrives.

 

 
Ye OLDe HOUSE ATT HOME

Ye OLDe HOUSE ATT HOME
Licensee George Guiel
.
Bunny Linford-Hazell strikes again! 28.10.2005
The 1914 - 1915 directory for
WORTHING - Broadwater Street
names the house.
George Guiel is confirmed as licensee.




The GRAPES INN
and
WILLIAM E DICKENS is licensee.

Found in the 1912 Kelly directory of DERBYSHIRE
at 
HAYFIELD ROAD
CHAPEL En Le FRITH

Another one to Bunny Linford-Hazell

 Ref : WHITE HART
The WHITE HART had licensee
Charles Hales in occupation 
when this photograph was taken in the early 1900's.

After much investigation it has been
confirmed to be at
EDITH WESTON
Stamford
LINCOLNSHIRE

Wright's directory of 1899 confirms that Mr Hales
was in occupation then.

Nice one Bunny!



 

A BLACK PRINCE
is hiding behind the tree

Identified by Peter Williams
as Princes Risborough in Bucks.



Jesse HART was licensee here.
Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs ales on sale
BUT cannot read the name on the sign!

This turns out to be the
CASE HAS ALTERED
at
BLO NORTON.

The trees are missing, but the house survives.
A fine ID by Leslie Robert Linford-Hazell.



CROWN & ANCHOR

Still trading on HOLY ISLAND it seems....

Another find by Bunny, March 2007




The distinctive STAR INN
should prove easy ?

Tracked down by Phil Child
and Bunny Linford-Hazell.


The house is still trading at Crowlas, near Penzance, Cornwall,
on the A30





Strong evidence that this is the Queens Head at Tharston.
The house was rebuilt in the 1930's or so.
John Brandon, who now lives in Bristol,
lived in the new house until 1958.

Confirmed August 2007 by Seth Reeder who talked with Clarence Potter, 80 years old
and Cyril Brooks who is 92 years old.
Both have memories of the original house.

They suggest it could be landlady Mrs Fuller standing in the doorway....


ycy004.jpg (15426 bytes)

The CHEQUERS INN
Probably Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs house.
Thought to be in the Diss area.


Nigel Smith advises 18/10/2007 :-
it is the former Chequers (Free House) pub located at Kettleburgh (near Woodbridge) which was subsequently burnt down and rebuilt in 1912/3
www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/ 
 

 
MAIL COACH

The MAIL COACH served BASS, WATNEY COMBE REID & 
LACONS Gt Yarmouth ales... but where?

 

29.02.08 :- Peter Williams in Australia comes up trumps!

The house was in Shepherds Bush.

   
The  caption to this card says HANXTON, but no such place has been identified.
The pub appears to be different from the RED LION at HINXTON.
The large sign board appears to say ROY.......

 

Bunny traces this to be the KINGS HEAD at HAUXTON.
Don Parry agrees.

 


The GOLDEN INN
is a freehouse
with licensee H. NORMAN

 

Two swift ID's on this one......
Both LRLH and Phil Self spot this one at
HIGHAMPTON, DEVON, EX21 5LT




 
A grand house - The Derby Arms - Licensee Samuel Brown

Identified as Upper Richmond Road Mortlake Surrey
Samuel Brown was licensee according to 1901 census.

Another fine piece of detective work by LRLH


BENSKINS ALES
are on sale by G A Coe .

Calyn Keohane traces this house to be
The BLUEBELL INN
High Street,
Hempstead,
Saffron Waldon
CB10 2PD

Fleece


The sign above the grey Austin (?) truck also appears to say FLEECE INN.


Paul Fuller finds the Fleece at Burgh Le Marsh, near Skegness.
That ID leads to the Bell below......
BELL INN
The BELL .... but where?

This turns out to be just around the corner from the
 FLEECE at Burgh Le Marsh.

The BELL HOTEL today.
The OLD INN

The OLD INN.
Auntie would know this place quite well says the message to Daisy who lived at Warren Road, Leyton, Essex.



It did not take Paul Fuller very long to identify this as once being at Gulval Churchtown, Cornwall.

Demolished in 1895, a NEW INN was built on the site.
Today it is known as the COLDSTREAMER INN.
Found F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 Missing P1 P2 P3