NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY HOTEL BRANDON Index
- LACKFORD HUNDRED FULL LICENCE -
LACKFORD LICENCE REGISTERS
Mr JAMES DRANE To 1849
 Mr WOOD Purchased at sale 21st June 1849
WILLIAM WOOD as recorded 1899 ( Owned by William Robert Wood of 396 London Road, Lowestoft in 1915 )
ALLSOPP & SONS 1919
IND COOPE & ALLSOPP Ltd 1934
       
Licensees :
-  
CHARLES B HATCH 1846 - 1850
WILLIAM BUCKENHAM
age 50 in 1851
( Died Q3 1858 )
1851 - 1855
JOHN HARDY
& threshing machine 1858
& coal merchant 1865
& farmer 1869
Age 40 in 1861 - 49 in 1871 - 58 in 1881
1858 - 1888
WILLIAM PELLING
age 56 in 1891
Good accommodation for anglers;
Hearse & Mourning Coach Proprietor.
1891 - 1892
ABEL BAILEY
( Licence renewed 14th September 1899 )
Died Q4 1904 - age 66
1896
FREDERICK J ROLPH
Died Q4 1909 - age 40
28.10.1904
FLORA ROLPH 11.02.1911
THOMAS ERNEST GORE 22.04.1911
GEORGE TALLENBY DINSDALE 24.10.1919
PERCY HILL 13.04.1920
FREDERICK WILLIAM HOLMES
( Frank Holmes in 1925 directory )
20.10.1922
THOMAS MOORE 24.05.1940
ALBERT HENRY NEWBURY 04.03.1946
TOM MOORE 31.03.1946
JOHN LEONARD ROBINSON 07.07.1948
THOMAS MOORE 09.01.1948
LEONARD BOX 19.03.1948
JOHN DOUGLAS TENNANT 03.04.1950
JOHN M RIDLEY-FORSTER 02.02.1951
MICHAEL JOHN ROBINSON 19.02.1954
JACK HILL STEVENSON 05.11.1956
ERNEST LESLIE DICKENSON 28.04.1958
MICHAEL JOHN ROBINSON
& wife OLGA
07.07.1958
to at least 1964
-  


The majority of Brandon is within Suffolk
however this house was located north of the river Little Ouse,
which defined the Norfolk/Suffolk border until 1895.
Still considered Norfolk in 1915 Register of Electors.


1899 in date stone above corner door.
c1904 image from time of Frederick Rolph.

Offered for sale by auction 21st June 1849
Initial announcement of sale also included a Malt-office of 50 coombs steep, Corn Granaries, Warehouses, Coal Stores, Wharf, a Compact Brewery with Stables, Chaise-house, Cart Lodges, Boat-house, Gardens Pleasure Ground, and Meadow Land.


`A well established INN, called the RAILWAY ARMS, admirably situated next to Brandon Station, with excellent stabling for twelve horses, Gig House and Cart Lodge, covered Nine-pin Ground, part of the walled-in Garden and Pleasure Grounds adjoining the Inn ( with valuable Timber and Trees growing thereon), and containing , with the site of the premises, 1A 3R 33P....'
` The Pleasure Grounds face Brandon Station and are very advantageously situated for erection of a Refreshment Room since there is no such facility on any station between Cambridge and Yarmouth.'
Apportioned annual rent due from Mr Charles Hatch to Mr Drane at Michalemas 1850, will be £50.

Found in directories as the RAILWAY HOTEL 1858 - 1888.
and as the GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY HOTEL from 1892

Corn Market held here 1892

August 2011 image by Ken Griffin
August 2011 image by Ken Griffin

 

 

Thanks to Ken Griffin for majority of information