NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
BEAUCHAMP ARMS CARLETON St PETER index
BUCKENHAM FERRY LODDON HUNDRED FULL LICENCE 01508 480247
LODDON & CLAVERING Register taken 21st September 1789 and 8th September 1794
-   
-  Leased by Bullard & Sons on 99 year lease to 1938
-  
Licensees :
-
Mr LLOYD from 1785
ELIZABETH HUMPHRIES / HUMPHREYS widow here 1789
THOMAS ORCHARD from 1806
JOHN FISH
age 50 in 1841?
( died Q1 1851 ? )
by 1813 - 1850
SARAH FISH (77) 1851
JOHN FISH
& poor rate collector 1858
age 44 in 1861
& farmer of 45 acres
1854  - 1865
JOHN GARRETT
& farmer 27 acres
age 55 in 1871
& ferryboat owner 1890
1868 - 1896
JAMES GEORGE GIBBS
age 34 in 1901
1900 - 1901
WILLIAM THOMAS ROYAL 1904 - 1908
WILLIAM HUBBARD
age ( 40 or 45?) in 1911
1911 - 1915
ALFRED CHARLES STEWARD 1916 - 1922
HERBERT GEORGE SANDWELL 1925
HERBERT ROBERT CORNISH 1929
ARTHUR MALLETT 1933 - 1937
Mr ROBERTS undated
Mr HOLLAND undated
Mr CHATER by 1956
PERCY NICHOLS late 1950's ?
FRANCES NICHOLS to 1998
RAY HOLLOCKS 1998 - 
-  
-  
-  


Buckenham Ferry House is recorded as being
mortgaged by Thomas Palgrave and Thomas Berney in 1704.

Included in Loddon & Clavering Register taken 1789 and 1794 as the FERRY HOUSE.

Leased in 1806 by Thomas Trench Berney to Thomas Orchard.

~
Offered for sale by auction May 1813.
Including Ferry, Public House, Stable and Marsh Land containing about 25 acres, except a small piece of land with a boat-house. Then in occupation of Mr Fish.
~

Generally given as the FERRY HOUSE 1836 - 1937
( Appears in Kellys directories 1916 to 1937 under Loddon in the trades section )

BEAUCHAMP ARMS 1883, 1890 and after 1982.

Named after the Proctor Beauchamp family who owned land on both sides of the river, in the area where the ferry operated.
The family owned the land, possibly from the 12th century to c1940.

August 1998



See p96 of The Norfolk Broads in Old Postcards by Basil Gowen - first published 1990.