NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
OVAL COSTESSEY Norwich O Norwich M
Costessey Index
DEREHAM ROAD FOREHOE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED December 1997
TAVERHAM LICENCE REGISTER PS 9/8/3 (1903 - 1957)
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS Built 1936
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY    
BRENT WALKER   
WIZARD INNS December 1997
Licensees :
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRELL
(Representative of the Brewers)
01.09.1936
WILLIAM HERBERT BARNEY
Died Q2 1948 age 48
13.10.1936
ROSA BARNEY 04.05.1948
NORMAN MacDONALD CRAIG 09.11.1948
KATE MAY CRAIG 15.07.1952
ARTHUR WILLIAM EASTON 0610.1953
ROBERT LAW 16.11.1954
to 1968 +
JAMES NICHOL 1980 - 1982
TONY STUBBS 1982 - 1983
MICHAEL NICHOLS 1983 - 1985
ALAN ROTTREL 1985 - 1990
-  
CHRIS HILES 1991 - 1997


Licence of the TIGER - Norwich transferred 1936.


Trading under the banner of
Mrs FARROWS BETTER HALF 1983 - 1985
Believed to have specialised in a Fish & Chip menu.

A popular music venue in the 1990's
The final music played in May 1998.

Purchased by Wizard Inns 1997 and closed May 1998 for substantial refurbishment. Reopened November 1998 as the
 WAGGON & HORSES

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-
{ Surveyed when named Mrs. Farrow - The Better Half }
 
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1936 No 5 2 No
Main structure 1936 - Alterations to front in 1983.
Recently modernised frontage included sham Georgian semi-circular headed windows.
Two rooms - restaurant and lounge.
Modern fittings throughout.