NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GATE INN STARSTON Index
- EARSHAM HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1954
EARSHAM LICENCE REGISTERS PS 21/3/1 & PS 21/3/2 (1932 to 1967)   Note :- Feb 1959 to Feb 1964 missing.
COLCHESTER BREWING Co. to c1920
IND COOPE c1920 - c1925
LACONS to 1954
Licensees :
-  
? 1779
-  
BENJAMIN BURGESS
& blacksmith
Died 22nd February 1843 - age 35
1836 - 1843
HARRIET BURGESS 1843 - 1845
JOHN HAYLOCK 1846
ROBERT BARBER 1850
FREDERICK BARBER
age 33
1851
MARK YOUNGS 1854
FREDERICK BARBER 1856
JONATHAN MASON 1858 - * 1875
GEORGE ARCHER 1877 - 1888
HENRY WHITE 1890 - 1892
FRANCIS FOSTER 1896
THOMAS B MARK 1900 - 1904
JOHN HAYLOCK 1908
CHARLES THOMAS OSBORNE
Age 75 in 1950
by 1911
EPHRAIM SAMUEL CHRISTMAS GROOM 21.07.1950
ISAAC MAYOH 04.12.1953
to closure 1954



Mentioned in the accounts of the parish overseers 1779.
1s 7d was claimed as expenses at the Gate following the examination of James Barber.

For sale by auction Wednesday 11th August 1813.
Possession to be had at Michaelmas.

Lot No. 6 in the Auction of Properties of the late Mr. Robert Burgess of Wortwell. Described as located on the high road leading from Harleston to Norwich and the only public house, or beer-shop, in the parish of Starston and in occupation of Benjamin Burgess.

In July 1950, Mr. Charles Osbourne was congratulated by the Chairman of the licensing magistrates, for formally agreeing to transfer the licence to Mr. Ephraim Groom, after nearly forty years at the house without any reports of trouble. The representative for Messrs. Lacon & Co. Ltd confirmed that Mr. Osborne had been at the house for over thirty-nine years.
Mr. Osbourne informed reporters that when he took over the house he could supply customers with a pint of beer, a small packet of cigarettes and a plate of bread and cheese for 5d. Gin was 2s 2d a bottle.
Also being a fish retailer, he would travel the district with a pony and cart selling bloaters at seven for 3d.

Licence given up by Lacons 14.08.1954 and the property was sold to the sitting tenant.


 

Thank you Kate