NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ALBERT HOTEL NORWICH A index
25 PRINCE OF WALES ROAD   BEERHOUSE CLOSED c1914
FREE TRADE ?  
Licensees :
-
WILLIAM WINTER proprietor 1883 - 1887
THOMAS SEAGO 1900 - 1912
-    


Image provided by Gordon Cox
Image provided by Gordon Cox

Listed 1883 as the ALBERT CAFE.

On Monday 22nd August 1887, William Winter applied for a beer and cider licence. He advised that the premises had been used as a restaurant for the previous five years. A respectable tradesman, he had previously been a painter and decorator for upwards of forty years. His customers sought beer as a refreshment rather than non-alcoholic drinks.
Although Mr. Winter owned the Cafe and the dwelling next door, he did not live in the cafe, but in the adjoining house ( But had direct communication each property and owned all the furniture). It was argued that in this case a licence could not be issued since the applicant must must be both occupant and holder. Residents of the neighbourhood also objected to the proposal.
Application Refused.

A Commercial Hotel listed from 1896 to 1914

T. Seago at one time proprietor. At least 12 stone bottles are known to exist bearing his name.

A waiter working here, by the name of William George Abigail, committed the murder of Jane Plunkett, 05.04.1882, by shooting her several times, at premises at Mill Hill.
He was found guilty and was sentenced to be hung ( and buried ) in the Norwich Castle grounds.