NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ALMA TAVERN NORWICH A index
92 POTTERGATE STREET
COW HILL
St GILES FULL LICENCE See MICAWBERS
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 & PS 1/8/2 (1867 to 1925)
STEWARD & PATTESON  
Licensees :
-
REBECCA BUSH 1856 -  * 1861
EDWARD NICHOLS
(Also as Nicholls)
1864 - 1865
EDWARD CHAMBERS by 1867
FRANCIS LONERGAN 05.05.1868
WILLIAM JOHN COOPER 02.07.1869
JAMES CARTER 28.03.1876
RICHARD SKIPPER 27.09.1876
Convicted 12.04.1877 for selling out of hours.
Fine 5/- plus 18/6d costs or 7 days
WILLIAM KING 27.04.1880
JOHN HUTCHINSON JONES 25.03.1890
JOHN JOSEPH PAPPS 10.10.1891
ELIZA PAPPS 03.01.1893
ALBERT JAMES DIXON
(Left owing to a betting case)
13.02.1894
GEORGE ANTHONY WEBSTER 07.10.1913
ADELAIDE WEBSTER 11.02.1915
GEORGE ANTHONY WEBSTER 13.05.1919 (?)
WILLIAM ERNEST LAND 06.04.1926
MARIA MARTHA LAND 12.06.1926
Convicted 11.01.1943 for selling out of hours.
Fine £5
JESSIE AGNES LAND 07.04.1952


House originates from 1772 and formerly named the DUKE OF YORK.

The ALMA from c1856 to closure 1975.
(Lord Raglan is credited with a victory over the Russian forces at the Alma in 1854, during the Crimean War).

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

Licensee Miss Agnes Land (63) and brother William Land (61) were advised by Watney Mann (East Anglia) Ltd that the house was to close October 14th 1970.
(From an article in the Eastern Daily Press 21.07.1970)
Watneys records contradict this and give 15th October 1975 as the date of closure.

Reopened 1977 as MICAWBERS TAVERN