NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
COACH & HORSES NORWICH C index Thorpe index
Y index Coach & Horses
82 THORPE ROAD THORPE HAMLET FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
YOUNGS & Co as given 1867 : Property owned by John Youngs the Elder as recorded 1888
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN 1967
NORWICH BREWERY    
FREE TRADE CHALK HILL BREWERY
Licensees :
THOMAS ANDREWS 1830 - 1845
DAVID CATTERMOLE
age 47 in 1851
1850 - 1861
JAMES CATTERMOLE
also as Catermoul
by 1864
ALFRED GREY READ 26.02.1872
THOMAS GRAY READ 02.04.1872
SAMUEL SULLIVAN 30.03.1880
REGINALD ALBERT PEARSON 22.07.1924
FREDERICK ALFRED BAILEY 12.05.1925
LOTTIE MARIA BAILEY 05.10.1943
WALLACE HECTOR MIDDLETON 07.06.1949
EDWIN GEORGE RUTTER 09.06.1964
ALBERT BRIGHTON 29.11.1983
ALBERT BRIGHTON &
MELVYN DOUGLAS YOUNGS
15.05.1990
RODNEY JAMES BROWN &
ROBERT THOMAS WOOD
19.03.1991
DAVID BLAKE 27.04.1993
DAVID BLAKE, ROBERT GRANT CAMERON &
BRENDA JOYCE GUNCHER
28.09.1993
DAVID BLAKE, ROBERT GRANT CAMERON &
& FRAZER ALEXANDER DUNCAN SCOTT
08.08.1995
DAVID BLAKE & 
ROBERT GRANT CAMERON 
18.11.1997
GRANT CAMERON by 2011



Known as the YARMOUTH COACH 1830, 1845 & 1867.

Address as Foundry Road 1836 & 1854.

Foundry Bridge Road 1845.

34 Thorpe Road in 1886.
44 Thorpe Road 1904.

About 50 members of the Jolly Dogs Society met here on Monday 27th August 1866 and took their first annual trip to Postwick Grove and there partook of the good things provided by Mrs. Cattermole in her well known liberal style, which gave the greatest satisfaction.......

Had a rear entrance onto Rosary Road .
(Red & white Watneys sign still attached 1984)

Closed 1989 to 1993.

Reopened July 1993 with the Chalk Hill Brewery operating from rear of premises.

A firkin of Old Tackle, left for two years to double ferment, was consumed on the weekend beginning Saturday 10th February 1996. Other ales produced at the time were Brewery Tap, Chalk Hill Bitter (CHB), Dreadnought and Porter.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1840 Yes 8 3 No
Grade II listed.
Two splayed square bays on ground floor.
Modern door.
Due for interior alterations October 1984.
Balcony across second storey of five cast iron columns - very decorative moulded architraves.
Wooden fireplace and tile surround circa 1910.
Interior is early 20th C with:
Three quarters wooden panelling in lounge (right)
Half wood panelling and patterned wallpaper in Public Bar.