NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
CHAMPION NORWICH C index
101 CHAPELFIELD ROAD
St. STEPHENS GATES
St. STEPHEN FULL LICENCE  
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
MASSEY as given 1844 & 1845
ARNOLD & WYATT by 1867
ARNOLD St. Margarets Brewery - 1873
MARY ELIZABETH ARNOLD 1880
LACONS c1901
WHITBREAD 1958
LACON INNS (Adnams) c1990
FREE TRADE by 1996
BATEMANS January 2007
Licensees :
JOHN PRICE 1836 - 1839
THOMAS GARWOOD 1842 - 1846
CHARLES BARNARD
age 46 in 1851
1851 - 1859
SARAH BARNARD 1861 - 1865
WILLIAM SPURLING by 1867
WILLIAM CHETTLEBURGH 28.09.1874
MARY CHETTLEBURGH 10.10.1884
WILLIAM EDWARDS 09.02.1886
GEORGE EDMUND GALE 26.03.1889
JOHN THORNTON WALKER 03.02.1892
ELIZABETH JEANNIE WALKER 14.08.1894
WILLIAM ROBERT STEVEN TOMES 10.10.1894
HARRY HOWES 06.04.1903
NELLIE HOWES 25.07.1905
SIDNEY THOMAS CARLISLE 10.10.1905
ROBERT HERBERT COOPER 26.11.1907
WILLIAM NICHOLAS CATTON 23.01.1915
ISABELLA GROVES 21.11.1916
WALTER BUGG 11.01.1921
WALTER WILLIAM MONEY 06.02.1923
FREDERICK PAYNE 02.10.1928
WALTER ERNEST JOHNSON 12.05.1936
FREDERICK ALBERT HARDY SHEPHERD 13.02.1940
ROBERT WALLER 09.11.1943
AGNES EMILY WALLER 10.02.1948
JOHN ARTHUR CANN 12.05.1959
ARCHIBALD SOMERS BARRETT 25.08.1959
ALBERT JAMES FROST 15.05.1962
CONSTANCE EVELYN FROST 12.02.1963
CONSTANCE EVELYN NEWLAND 27.11.1964
PAT & DONALD ELLICE
to retirement 31.12.2006
14.05.1996
-  
JASON & NICOLA BARKER 20.02.2009
DON & DEBS PEARCE 09.2010
BEN SHALLCROSS 28.11.2011
ANNIE GOULDING 07.2012
-  

 November 2004 image by Phil Bowden
November 2004

Named after bare knuckle boxer Daniel Mendosa who visited Norwich in 1790.

Part of Lot 7 in the sale of Most Desirable Brewing and Malting Establishment, Tavern and Spirit Vaults, Baking Office and Building Land offered for Sale by Auction Friday 28th June 1844 at the Direction of the Proprietor, Mr. Thomas Massey.
Lots 1 to 5 were pieces of Freehold Land near St. Stephen's Gates.
Lot 6 was the Baking Office fronting the road from St. Stephen's Gates to St. Giles Gates.
Lot 7 was a Dwelling House adjoining Lot 6 and the Brewery. At the entrance to St. Stephen's Square was the Spirit Shop and Tavern, comprising besides the corner Shop, a Porter-room, Kitchen, Cellar, several Bed-rooms, Wash-house, Yard and Privy. To the rear a recently erected Malting Office with 30 coomb steep.
The Liquor Shop in occupation of Mr. Garwood, the Malting Office by Mr. Clarke and the remainder of the Proprietor.
Lot 8 was land adjoining Lot 5 with a Blacksmith's Shop and other Erections.

Given as the CHAMPION STORES in 1890.

Advertised as the `nearest Lacons House to the Bus Station' 1966.


House no. 107 on 1845 Magistrates list

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Early19th C & 1920 No 6 5 Yes
Alterations to facade in 1920's to `Lacon's Brewery style'
Including glazed tile facings to the corner entrance, the doorcase and lamp over on the Chapelfield Road facade.
Etched glass on doors and windows.
Retains three bars, lounge bar, snug and public bar.
(The former two temporarily closed at the time of survey.)
The corner public bar retains many nice typical features of a small period local, including leather strap hinges on the front door, draught screen, matchboarding; fitted wooden benches, lincrusta ceiling, original lighting fixtures now converted to modern use.
Brass latch on door, coat pegs; all pre-war.
Hatch to snug, modern bar counter.
Named after the London Jewish prize fighter, Daniel Mendoza, who visited the City in 1790.
Late in 1985, the pub changed its sign to that of a champion horse.
One of the few remaining buildings of the first artisan suburbs to be built outside the City Wall in the mid 19th c.