NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FESTIVAL HOUSE NORWICH F Index
G Index
2, 4 & 6 St. GEORGES STREET St. ANDREW FULL LICENCE See DELANEYS
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/2 & PS 1/8/4 (1894 - 1965)
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
WOODBRIDGE INNS by June 1992
SPRING INNS  
Licensees :
JAMES FREDERICK NEALE 22.09.1898
WILLIAM JAMES PARR 08.08.1899
ELIZABETH ELIZA PARR 05.02.1901
WILLIAM ARTHUR GEORGE RIMMINGTON 06.04.1903
HANNAH MORRIS 01.12.1903
BERTIE HILLING 05.04.1907
PERCY HARRY LeSTRANGE 05.04.1909
JAMES HENRY LARNDER 29.11.1910
MABEL HESTER LARNDER 21.11.1916
JAMES HENRY LARNDER 17.06.1919
CHARLES EDWARD GUEST 05.03.1935
Convicted 22.04.1941 on 3 cases of selling out of hours.
The guilty verdict was dismissed on payment of 12/- costs.
JOHN HENRY BAILEY 01.01.1946
WALTER CLIFFORD GEORGE 09.10.1962
JOHN THRAXTON 1975 - 1991
CLIVE LARGE 1991
-
FRANCO GUAMNO 1993
BARRY HILLS by Dec 1993
-  
First licensed 1898.
Licence of the EDINBURGH transferred to these premises.
Licence of the CORK CUTTERS ARMS also surrendered.

Advertising in 1945 read :-
``Bullards & Sons Ltd : Fine Ales & Stout, Wines & Spirits''

Page 89 of the 1945 City Of Norwich Plan says :-
``Spoilt by Victorian vulgarity ''.

Featured a corner bar to c1980.
This bar was a delight of carved bar fittings and mirrored glass fittings. A Victorian gem.
Ripped out in the cause of `improvements'.

Given in directories c1900 as THE FESTIVAL and in the licence registers as the FESTIVAL RESTAURANT to c1965.


Closed 05.1992.
Renamed the GROCERS GHOST from 11th June 1992.
(The property being a grocers shop in the late 1800's).
By January 1993 became FRANCO'S
and later in the same year back to the FESTIVAL HOUSE.
Closed December 1999 to 20.12.2000 when new licence applied for.
Opened as DELANEYS 07.02.2001,an Irish theme bar.
Later to become the St. ANDREWS BREWHOUSE.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Part early C19 - Part Tudor Yes 7 5 Yes
Building on St. Andrew's is early 19th C.
Side structure is Tudor framed building but covered with fake Georgian.
Originally a grocer's shop.
Named after the Norfolk & Norwich Triennial Music Festival.