NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
FERRY BOAT INN NORWICH F index
191 LOWER KING STREET St. JULIAN FULL LICENCE CLOSED
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS (Closed from 1940 to 1945) Index of
Barges,
Steam Barges
Steam Packets
Etc....
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN Closed 19.06.1975
FREEHOUSE  
GREENE KING From  July 1984
Licensees :
-  
HARRY JAMES BROWN
(At Steam Packet from 1907 - Ferry Boat 1925)
died Q2 1928 - age 59
from 1907
AGNES BERTHA BROWN 17.07.1928
WALTER ARTHUR LONG 20.11.1928
WILLIAM JAMES BAYTON 07.02.1933
PERCY JOSEPH JAMES BROOMFIELD 05.04.1934
ARCHIE EDGAR BUSHELL 16.11.1937
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRRELL
Died 1941
02.01.1940
Letter 16.09.1940 from Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs states that house recently closed for the duration of the war.
BERTRAM NICHOLS 07.10.1941
House reopened 05.06.1945
VICTORIA MAY WARMINGER 05.06.1945
GERALD ATTOE 11.05.1975
ROGER GRAHAM WATKINS 10.02.1976
R G WATKINS, CYRIL WALTER & OLIVE FELTHAM 10.02.1981
ROGER WATKINS & GLORIA ANN CHINNERY 08.02.1983
EDWARD WILLIAM AUDLEY 08.01.1985
STEVE G J WRIGHT
(Convicted of multiple murders 2008)
10.05.1988
ROLF W HANSON & LEE MILLER 06.09.1988
ROLF HANSON & PETER FRENCH 14.02.1989
ANTHONY PARFITT 30.10.1990
MARIO O'CONNELL & CLIVE RAINS 08.01.1991
PAUL WILLIAM BENNETT 30.04.1991
DONALD ELLICE & CLIVE MORRISON 29.09.1992
DONALD ELLICE 06.07.1993
CHRIS WARTON 13.08.1996
TRACEY LAWTON & STEPHEN BROWN 17.03.1998
ARTHUR KEMP 08.12.1998
YVONNE & ALAN THORPE 05.2004


November 2004 image by Phil Bowden
11.2004

(Perhaps the HORSE PACKET 1822 ?)

STEAM BARGE by 1830 then
STEAM PACKET from 25.10.1867

First mention as FERRY BOAT from 1925

 On Tuesday 7th October 1941 the licence was transferred from the late William G. Tyrell to brewery representative Bertram Nichols. See THREE TUNS

Memorable in the early 1970's as having well worn seats in the front bar, they were the same shape and had the same covering as then used by the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company.
A classic bubble gum dispenser sat in the small entrance hall.

When reopened as a freehouse the entrance hall and room to the left hand side were combined into one room which incorporated the original bar area on the right hand side. A stuffed cat guarded the chimney breast at the left hand end.

A huge bar was also created in (ex-boat) sheds to the rear.

`Fag-Ash Lil' was a crowd puller at the piano in the 1970's.

CLOSED `for refurbishment' July 2006

Destined to be an `Eco- friendly backpackers hostel'
according to ongoing works May 2011.
`Old part of pub to be a Real Ale Appreciation Shop / Bar
with mainly off-sales beer, but a few real ales on tap'

No progress in evidence by December 2015.

Permission granted 2016 to convert into accommodation and for a total of 40 dwellings to be created on the site.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Late 17th C Yes 7 7 Yes
Fireplace in front bar with staircase to side.
Extensive alterations to interior to create a progressive series of bar rooms and covered courtyard areas.
Boathouse to rear converted to a very large bar room.
Ferry used to operate from here before Carrow Bridge was erected. (1810)