NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
GUNDRY WHITES NORWICH Index
1 QUEEN STREET St. GEORGE TOMBLAND FULL LICENCE See HOGSHEAD
   -

COOPERS in 1878

The BANK PLAIN RESTAURANT by 1894 ( At 5 Bank Plain )

BANK PLAIN STORES from 1905 ( In adjoining building in Queen Street )

Given as the BANK PLAIN HOTEL in 1908 and 1912.

Licensee from 1904 to 1937 was George Gundry White
and the house became ( unofficially ) known as GUNDRY WHITES by 1920.

Taken over by W. Purdy Ltd in 1961 and the inside completely remodelled.
Featured a new restaurant, the Gundry Grill, Wine Cellar Bar, Capri Bar for the ladies and the Norfolk Bar for the gentlemen.


The only Norwich house ( out of 18 Norfolk public houses ) recommended by the Egon Ronay pub guide of 1969.
`Trendy and reasonably priced '.

GUNDRY WHITES to 1986.

DRUMMONDS

Briefly back to GUNDRY WHITES.

CITY ALE & WINE BAR 1994 / 1995

HOGSHEAD from April 1996.

Some excellent music was played here in the 1970's.

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Late 19th C Yes 7 4 No
Main structure timber frame: 16th - 17th C
Altered in 18th and late 19th C.
Bar to right of entrance: central mock fireplace; various wooden mouldings.
Bass mirror over fireplace.
Three rooms on ground floor.
Back bar on ground floor used as music room. Wall with murals on three walls of 1920's flavour.
Pool room on ground floor has no exceptional features.
Upstairs Tiffany bar in high Victorian style - red velvet sofas, wood and cast iron tables, mahogany bar inset with Victorian prints, brass foot rail, bent-wood cane chairs.
Furnishings are original or old reproductions.
Front room on first floor runs full length of the building and is half wood-panelled (modern).
Staircase - attractive wood with various old prints on walls.
Used to have a cellar bar - now closed.