NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
HEARTSEASE NORWICH Norwich index
Thorpe Hamlet
180 PLUMSTEAD ROAD THORPE HAMLET FULL LICENCE 01603 433673
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS As Youngs & Co in Licence Register
BULLARDS from 1958
WATNEY MANN   
NORWICH BREWERY as recorded 1986 
..    
John Barras & Co 1997
PUNCH TAVERNS by 2009
SPIRIT PUB Co.  a JOHN BARRAS Franchise. 
Licensees :
-
JOHN FROST 1839
CHARLES FROST 1842
ARTHUR BUSH  1845
BENJAMIN SAYER
age 50 in 1851
1846 to 1875
HANNAH SAYER 10.08.1875
Convicted 25.08.1875 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 1/- plus 7/- costs
THOMAS HOWE 17.03.1876
Convicted 11.05.1881 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 40/- plus 17/6d costs
Convicted 29.10.1881 of selling out of hours.
Fine £10 plus 17/6d costs
ROBERT DESBOROUGH 28.03.1882
THOMAS GREEN 30.11.1909
MARY GREEN 11.02.1915
GEORGE CHARLES FRICKER 17.07.1917
Convicted 10.11.1926 of selling out of hours.
Fine 10/- or 7 days detention
ARTHUR NOBLE 08.09.1931
HENRY CLIFFORD GLEN 21.08.1945
HOWARD MARKHAM SUTCLIFF 09.05.1950
ARTHUR GEORGE WYNNE 07.04.1953
WALTER EMMERSON PANK 04.10.1955
JACK ERNEST MARCH 06.01.1970
IAN REID 04.09.1978
TERANCE JOHN DOWSON 22.07.1980
ROY FREDERICK ANDREWS 21.07.1981
WILLIAM JOHN SPEED 11.01.1983
CYRIL EDNEY & DAVID MARTIN 27.11.1984
PETER MARTIN & JOHN LEMMON 03.04.1989
STEPHEN CAMMOCK & JOHN LEMMON 15.05.1990
CHARLES WILLIAM HARDEN 09.01.1996
CARL DAVID HILL & NEIL BARTHOLOMY 06.09.1997
RICHARD JOHN RICHARDSON &
MARK WENN
09.02.1999
JOHN JENKINS & JACQUELINE ALICIA JEMNKINS 14.09.1999
CHARLES FREDERICK RULE 15.08.2000
DAVID WATSON by 2004
GORDON THWAITES by 2009
ANDREW & CAROLINE CARRUTHERS April 2011 
REBECCA BARBER &
MICHAEL BREAME
Nov 2012
-  


House No. 543 on 1845 Magistrates list.
December 1996
December 1996


As near the Racecourse 1845.

As HEARTS EASE, Mousehold 1879

Property owned by Charles Crawshay as document dated 17th March 1888.

 Robert Desborough made an application, on Monday 24th August 1891, for a music and singing licence.
The Chief Constable opposed the application since the house was on the edge of teh city and beyond police supervision.
Application refused.

(Beerhouse to 1959)

The licence of the THREE HORSE SHOES, 21 Palace Street was transferred to these premises in February 1959.

Reopened in August 1997 following a major refurbishment by new owners John Barras & Co

Refurbished again Sept / Oct 2012 to reopen Nov 2012

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1920 No 5 4 No
Many extensions on all sides.
Public bar added at rear in 1920's - good quality interesting interior.
Decorative fanlight over front door.
Decorative archway on Plumstead Road circa 1920's
Old Welsh crofters' cooking range set into mock fireplace.
One central bar.
Redecorated in 1982 in contemporary rustic style: rough bricks, wooden beams, stucco walls, low ceiling.
Farmers from Acle direction once brought cattle this way from the marshes to the cattle market.