NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
KETTS CASTLE NORWICH K index O index
Thorpe Hamlet index
29 KETTS HILL
SPITALFIELDS
THORPE HAMLET FULL LICENCE CLOSED
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 - 1965 )
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS Youngs in 1845. Sold by Y,C&Y Partnership to Y,C&Y Company for completion 01.02.1878. Property of John Youngs the Elder 1888.
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN Closed by Watney Mann (East Anglia) Ltd 15.06.1976
FREEHOUSE    
Licensees :
-  
JOHN SPINKS 1827 - 1830
ROBERT SMITH 1836 - 1845
ROSAMOND SMITH 1850
ROSE SMITH (55) 1851
JOHN WATTS 1854 - 1871
Fined 5s with 11s costs for having deficient beer measures in possession - Saturday 24th August 1861
ROBERT MATTHEWS 12.10.1871
Charged 14.01.1872 of being open out of hours.
No record found of conviction.
WILLIAM MITCHELL 27.06.1873
JOHN GOREHAM
(given as JOSEPH 1883)
10.10.1881
Convicted 05.10.1886 for allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £5 plus 10/6d costs
Convicted 09.04.1895 of supplying intoxicating liquor to a Constable on duty (Smith). Fine £2 plus 8/6d costs or 14 days detention.
JONATHAN MOORE 10.10.1895
JOHN PARFOOT 08.02.1898
Convicted 04.05.1901 of selling out of hours.
Fine £2 plus 8/- costs or 14 days detention.
WALTER PARKER 18.06.1901
ARTHUR NOBBS 30.12.1902
WILLIAM THOMAS OLLEY 14.01.1908
PERCY ROBERT MURRAY 07.02.1933
WILLIAM EDWARD HUBBARD 14.03.1939
ERNEST HOWARD 12.06.1951
STANLEY GRAHAM CHILVERS 12.05.1953
THOMAS MORTELL 16.11.1954
CYRIL ARTHUR HAWKINS 14.03.1967
MALCOLM LAWRENCE GEORGE TAYLOR 16.07.1968
ERIC STANLEY JERMY 06.01.1970
KEITH HONEYWOOD 20.07.1976
MICHAEL JOHN FITZGERALD &
JEANETTE ANN CARAN
06.09.1977
FRANCES PATRICIA HOWARD &
FLORENCE JANE HOWARD
05.01.1992
FLORENCE JANE HOWARD &
PHYLLIS EADY
26.04.1994
KEVIN ALAN HOPKINS &
DAWN ALEXANDRA HOPKINS
13.06.2000
AMI HODGSON 01.2015
Ketts Tavern - 1997
1997

Damaged by bombing 27th - 29th April 1942

Became the OLD BILL after  1976

Renamed KETTS TAVERN from c1980

Renamed VIRTUOSO Craft Brewhouse and Smokehouse from January 2015.

Closed at end of 2015.

Permission to convert into housing granted 2016.

House No. 547 on 1845 Magistrates list.

See page 99 of NORWICH IN OLD POSTCARDS Vol II, first published 1989.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
19th C No 6 5 No
Used to be two cottages.
Early Victorian facade on much earlier building.
Modern Tudor pub style.
Three distinct areas in one room with one long bar.