NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
LORD NELSON NORWICH L index Lord Nelson
Nelson Tavern
286 DEREHAM ROAD
STONE HILLS
HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE See ARTFUL DODGER
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
STEWARD & Co Hired by Steward, Patteson, Finch & Co as Trust deed dated 1837 to 1851. (Address Middle Westwick Street)
BULLARDS by 1846?
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
Licensees :
-
-  
HENRY BARKER
according to Pigot
1839
GEORGE BARKER
age 30 - agricultural labourer
(Henry Barker appears to have moved to Earl Of Leicester)
1841
DANIEL DUNNELL 1842
THOMAS WATTS 1845 - 1846
SARAH WATTS widow
age 58 in 1851
1851 - 1865
FRANCIS WATTS SMITH 25.12.1866
SAMUEL SMITH 28.10.1868
JOSHUA GREENACRE 30.09.1870
Accused 16.04.1871 of being open out of hours.
THOMAS BARRETT 28.06.1872
Accused 17.11.1872 of being open out of hours.
Convicted 20.11.1872 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £1 plus 7/- costs or 7 days detention.
ROBERT GILBERT 15.10.1874
PHILIP BRANCH 10.10.1879
Convicted 12.08.1882 of suffering gaming.
Fine £3 plus 17/6d costs or 7 days detention.
Convicted 12.08.1882 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £1 plus 17/6d costs or 7 days detention.
RANDALL MANN 10.10.1900
HARRIET LOUISA MANN 27.05.1930
ARTHUR WILLIAM FURSE 21.10.1930
Convicted 27.08.1937 of selling out of hours.
Fine £3.
FRANK SECULL 02.05.1944
ALBERT HENRY BETTS 13.02.1951
-  

House no. 515 on 1845 Magistrates list

The LORD NELSON - Feb 1988 - Image by Barry Wilkinson.
February 1988 - Image by Barry Wilkinson.


This area of Dereham Road was also known as the Stone Hills.
In 1872 J. Greenacre is given as the licensee of the STONE HILLS.

Steward & Co are given as the suppliers of the house in 1845.
The address is then given as St. Benedicts Road.

A Bullards report dated July 1866 gives licensee Thomas Watts as being at the house from 29.09.1846, followed by Sarah Watts (undated) and then F. W. Smith from 25.12.1866.
No mention is made of Daniel Dunnell.


Licence removed to a new site 22.08.1899.
The Norfolk Chronicle of 26.08.1899 reported that Mr. E. Reeve had applied upon the behalf of Philip Branch for provisional removal from premises on Dereham Road to a new house to be erected on the corner of Dereham Road and Bond Street.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942

Renamed the ARTFUL DODGER in 1989.



  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1900 No 5 No
Original pub further down road was burnt out and site moved.
"Every man this day shall do his duty" is carved on wood on outline of corner entrance.
Side entrance porch has mosaic type floor.
Modern fittings, two rooms, bar and lounge.