NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
MORTIMER'S HOTEL NORWICH M Index O index
R index
34 St GILES STREET St GILES FULL LICENCE later BEERHOUSE CLOSED 30.09.1968
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1867 - 1965 )
? No owner given 1867
JOHN THURSBY MORTIMER by 1873
CAROLINE KNIGHTS by 1886
BULLARD & SONS c1897
Licensees :
-  
JOHN THURSBY MORTIMER by July 1858
CAROLINE KNIGHTS 09.05.1882
JOHN ROBERT DESBOROUGH 10.10.1899
HUNTLY GEORGE GORDON 10.10.1900
PERCY NEALE ETHERIDGE 27.08.1901
RICHARD JOSHUA MALLETT
( Opera House Hotel ? )
28.07.1903
BERTIE EDWARD BUSSEY 19.07.1910
( J. J. Fisher - manager ? ) ( 1912 )
CHARLES STROUD 26.11.1912
ERNEST CHARLES DOWDNEY 06.05.1913
ADA DOWDNEY 11.02.1915
Convicted 18.03.1926 of permitting gaming.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
WILLIAM JAMES GOULD 08.09.1931
HARRIETT GOULD 06.02.1934
LESLIE FRANK HILL 18.06.1935
( T. H. Jarvis - manager ? ) ( 1937 )
GEORGE FREDERICK THOMPSON 14.07.1942
HUBERT TREVOR JARVIS
( as Licence Register  - Seems known as Tom )
06.06.1944
OLIVE AILEEN JARVIS 14.07.1953
FRANK REGINALD WILLER 30.12.1958
MARGARET LUCY WILLER 25.08.1959
GEORGE SYMON 17.11.1959




A lad named Henry Duffield was `boots' here and in February 1864 gave `evidence of great clearness and satisfaction' in a dispute about rent of a cottage in Stratton St. Mary.

Site of the NEW INN in 18thC.

Advertising in 1858 - Breakfast 1s 6d; Dinner 2s; Tea 1s; Bed 1s; Servant 6d per day. Dinners and Luncheons at the shortest notice.
Scotch, Burton and Pale Ales.

In October 1861, Mr. Mortimer acknowledged the growing patronage and support that had been received in the past three-and-a-half years.
The greatest attention being paid to Ales and Double Stout, which in future would be superior, being made from New Malts.
Invalid's Stout in 4½, 9 and 18 Gallon Casks.
An Ordinary every day at Half-past One - 1s 3d each.


Given as MORTIMERS RAILWAY,COMMERCIAL, AND FAMILY HOTEL 1858
Found as MORTIMERS HOTEL from 1859.

John Thursby Mortimer was arrested 31st August 1861 for debts of £541 9s 2d with credit of £200. There was no opposition and a discharge was granted.

John T. Mortimer was granted a new full licence at the Annual Licensing Session, Tuesday 30th August 1864, so the house must have been a beerhouse prior to that date.

Address as 72 St Giles Street in 1869 - 1883

Full licence held until 1883 when Mr. Knights died, Mrs. Knights then requested a six day licence.

The house had 14 bedrooms and `in no way resembled an ordinary public-house.' The licence being for the convenience of commercial travellers and their friends rather than casual drinkers.

The 6 day licence restriction was removed 24.08.1900. However an undertaking was given that the bar would ( still ) not open on Sundays.

Briefly called the OPERA HOUSE HOTEL in early 1900's.
( Only found in Kelly's directories for 1904 & 1908 )

Back to MORTIMERS HOTEL by 1912.

Given as beer retail only 1950.