NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
PELICAN NORWICH P Index
Peacock
33 PITT STREET St. GEORGE OF COLEGATE   CLOSED 1867
STEWARD & Co Owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward and first supplied during the year commencing November 1848
Licensees :
-  
WILLIAM CLABBORN
worsted weaver
1760 - 1763
ISAAC SAINT 1793 - 1794
-  
THOMAS ALGAR 1806 - 1810
SAMUEL BETTS 1822 - 1830
MICHAEL FENN
( given at the Peacock 1842 & 1845 )
beer retailer, Pitt Street 1846 - House not named
1842 - * 1846
HENRY HOGG
& cabinet maker
* 1850 - 1851
WILLIAM CORDAN 1854
THOMAS WADE 1856
ISAAC SANDS 1859
ISAAC JONES ( Sands ? ) 1861
JOSEPH MARSHALL 1864 - 1865
-  


 
The licensee from Christmas 1793 was Isaac Saint. He was arrested 14th May 1794 and taken to London to be questioned in the Whitehall Council Chamber by a Privy Council formed of the Lord Chancellor, 2 Dukes, 2 Earls, 2 Lords, the Secretary of State and the Attorney and Secretary General. The reason for the questioning was that a United Society, for the purpose of Parliamentary reform, met at the Pelican.
Saint admitted to be secretary to the club and was detained for at least 2 months. No record found of his return to Norwich.
( This was at the time of the French Revolution and it seems the Government was nervous. Saint had admitted that similar societies met at the LYON, St. Pauls, at the TYGER, the CHEQUERS and the GLOBE in St. Martins, also at the ROYAL OAK, the BOAR and the SHAKESPEARE in St. Michaels. The QUEEN OF HUNGARY in St Swithins and the FORTUNE OF WAR in St. Edmunds were also named. )

The PEACOCK is named in Steward & Patteson records dated 1837 to 1851 as a freehold property, owned by Steward, Patteson & Steward.
The name PELICAN is however inserted beside PEACOCK






House no. 388 on 1845 Magistrates list