NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
PLANE MAKERS ARMS NORWICH P index
Royal Oak
PIPEBURNERS YARD St. GREGORY   CLOSED
-
Licensees :
-  
JAMES CALLOW 1821
-  
JAMES SMITH 1829
BENJAMIN GRIMBLE 1830
JAMES ANNISON 1836
ROBERT DURRANT 1839
SAMUEL MANNING 1842 - 1845
-  



A sale was announced 20th October 1821 of this `freehold public house lately called the ROYAL OAK, and now the PLANE MAKERS ARMS, in the parish of St Gregory and in the occupation of James Callow.

At the City Sessions held Monday 4th May 1829, George Mason, John Gibbons, John Barnes and William Royall were charged with assaulting publican, James Smith.
It was heard that at half-past eleven o'clock on 24th January 1829, the accused had forced their way in to his closed house after being refused entry. Gibbons directed a blow at Smith, which hit his wife. Smith and Gibbons struggled and the fight continued into the tap-room where they fell. The other three then entered and kicked Smith. Another man, who was already in the house, came to assist Smith and the three left, but Gibbons delivered a blow to Smith with a poker, which was bent by the force used.
Smith was unable to work for about two weeks, but did not summon medical help.
The four men were arrested and by the time of the hearing had served three months in prison. All were found guilty of the offence, but the Jury recommended mercy owing to the time already served. Each received a further imprisonment of one month and a fine of 6d.


Address also found as Brownes Yard and as Upper Westwick Street.





House no. 246 on 1845 Magistrates list