NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
QUEENS ARMS NORWICH B index Q index T index
Backs index Queens Arms index
102 MAGDALEN STREET St SAVIOUR FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 - PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
FREE TRADE Supplied by Steward & Patteson 1838 - 1840
WILLIAM POINTER of Bishopgate 1873
ELIZABETH, ALICE & HENRY RAMSEY c1927
EDWARD BUSH Leased to Bullards c1946
NORFOLK & SUFFOLK HOTELS Ltd Late 1940's
HENEKEY Ltd of London 15.03.1952 (Trading under the name of Backs)
FISHER FREEHOUSE Selling Truman Ales - after 1973
IND COOPE 1980's
.   
Licensees :
-  
JOHN MINNS
age 46 in 1851
& wine & spirit merchant & grocer 1861
by 1839
WILLIAM JAMES MINNS 10.10.1873
ANN ELLEN MINNS 02.01.1894
WILLIAM ARTHUR WADE 24.06.1894
JOHN QUINTON 20.06.1900
ROBERT EAGLE 06.02.1900
WILLIAM BASTED 10.10.1900
THOMAS TIDY 19.12.1901
CHARLES FREDERICK CHAPLIN 06.04.1908
WILLIAM SPATCHETT 13.10.1908
WILLIAM LONG 05.04.1927
Convicted 23.01.1934 of Selling out of hours.
fine £1 or 13 days detention
BENJAMIN FRED BIRD 01.01.1946
PHILIP GLANDFORD BACK 05.04.1946
.
ALAN KERRIGAN
went to Plasterers Arms
1987 - 1991
.
COLIN WARD by 1994
-  


House No. 434 on 1845 Magistrates list.
October 1995
October 1995

Known as the TUB c1950 to 1973 when a sign in the form of a barrel hung outside.

Renamed ESCAPE June 2009

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1930 No 6 5 Yes
Wood panelling around walls and fireplace.
Leaded windows.
One large bar but three distinct areas.
Small wooden model of the old pub kept behind the bar.
Comfortable city pub.
Previously a Free House owned by the Back family.
Nicknamed the `Tub' because of a large barrel which used to hang outside to show that the cellars were fully stocked.