NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
REINDEER NORWICH Index
10 DEREHAM ROAD HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 &  PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
YOUNGS & Co   
BULLARDS from 1878
FREE TRADE From 1983
FIRKIN CHAIN ALLIED DOMECQ 1996 - 2003 (See Finnesco & Firkin)
ELGOOD'S The first Elgoods house in Norwich - from 2004
   
Licensees :
-  
? 1853
JOHN KERRIDGE
(* given at Rainbow 1858)
1854 - 1859
W. MORTIMER 1865
HENRY BRIGGS 1866
Proceedings were taken 20.01.1866 for being open out of hours.
EDMUND CHAMBERS by 1867
ROBERT THIRLING 28.09.1868
THOMAS SMITH 22.10.1869
FREDERICK MINGAY 20.06.1873
SARAH HARRIETT MINGAY 06.04.1875
THOMAS WILLIAM BENSLEY 19.03.1877
JAMES PEGG 02.04.1878
Convicted 10.12.1880 of allowing drunkenness.
Fine 10/- plus 17/6d costs.
Convicted 28.07.1881 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine £1 plus 7/- costs.
ISAAC CANNELL
& saddle & harness maker
27.12.1881
EDWARD KNIVETT 03.01.1888
MARIA KNIVETT 05.04.1905
SAMUEL JAMES LOCK 29.08.1905
WILLIAM HENRY GOLDSPINK ATKINS 09.10.1906
SAMUEL CHARLES CHRISTMAS SAYER 29.11.1910
GEORGE HENRY CURSON 28.11.1911
HARRY HALE 13.02.1914
HENRY GILBERT TAYLOR 11.02.1915
Convicted 27.10.1915 of failing to close against soldiers.
Fine £1 or 13 days detention.
ERNEST BULLARD 07.04.1917
JOHN HENRY WAKEFIELD 15.01.1918
BERTIE ALBERT BELLWARD 05.04.1922
EVELYN SYBIL BELLWARD 23.06.1931
EDGAR CHARLES SAVORY 08.09.1931
WALTER SKITMORE 05.04.1933
CHARLES BURRELL 27.08.1940
WILLIAM GEORGE BURRELL 05.04.1947
JOHN CHARLES EVERETT 20.11.1951
GEOFFREY TODD 06.06.1967
CLIFFORD GEORGE GREEN 23.04.1968
GERALD ATTOE 06.02.1979
EDWARD JOHN WRAGG 02.09.1980
WILLIAM THOMAS & WOLFE WITHAM 25.11.1986
Finnesco & Firkin 1996 - 2003 : Finnesko 2003 to April 2004 when back to REINDEER
NICK RAY & CRAIG McLAREN 29.04.2004
GILL REILLY & PAUL LEECH by 08.2007
to 07.2008
STUART WILSON 09.2008
TERRY FORDHAM &
LISA TOTTIE
03.2009 to
08.2009
GRAHAM HARLING 10.2009
for 18 days
-  
DEAN & KATIE SEARLE
(also at Rumsey Wells)
08.12.2011 - 01.2018
Ms LOU WILDING 07.03.2018

Jan 1988

  Location given as St. Benedict's Gates when an adjoining three storey Dwelling House was sold here by auction, Thursday 10th February 1853.

Address as Valentine Road in 1856.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942

Closed c1980

Reopened as a freehouse December 1983.

Home of the Wolfe Brewery 1986 to November 1995.

Purchased by the Firkin chain and renamed the FINNESCO & FIRKIN.
(January 1996 to 2003)

Purchased by ELGOOD'S and returned to the REINDEER
Reopened 1st May 2004

Image by D. McDonald 04.2004
The new sign April 19th 2004

 

Closed 28th January 2018

Reopened during second week of March 2018.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
19th C No 4 3 No
One room, modern fittings.
Looks as if entrance was once on the corner of building.