NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ROYAL OAK NORWICH R index O Index
Royal Oak Index
132 OAK STREET St MARTIN AT OAK   CLOSED 1940
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867- 1965)
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by Finch & Steward
Licensees :
-  
JAMES BARLOW 1806 - 1807
JOHN BARLOW 1810
EDWARD HOWSON 1822
NICHOLAS MELLET 1830
ROBERT CARPENTER 1836
JAMES HOWLETT
according to Robson
1839
EMANUEL KING 1842
JAMES HOWLETT
1845 according to Magistrates
1845
THOMAS BETTS
according to White
1845
ROBERT COSSEY
age 52 in 1851
1850 - * 1859
THOMAS BANFATHER
& silk weaver
by 1861
HANNAH BANFATHER 13.06.1871
THOMAS HAMMOND 22.02.1876
JOSEPH MANN junior 29.09.1876
EDWARD ROBERT ALDEN 05.09.1877
JOHN BROWNE 09.06.1880
CHARLES BROWN 25.06.1889
ALBERT JAMES BURRELL 08.10.1929
WILLIAM MURTON 28.12.1937


The Royal Oak by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
03.08.1938
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002


Given as the OAK 1836 & 1842

Steward & Patteson advised the Magistrates by letter dated 09.10.1940 that the house would be closed for the duration of the war.

Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.

The house did not reopen

Licence surrendered 21.11.1961 in favour of new licence for the CANARY.

House no. 356 on 1845 Magistrates list