NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
SHRUB HOUSE NORWICH Index
2 CHARING CROSS
2 St ANDREWS STREET
St. JOHN MADDERMARKET FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1979
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
SEAMAN & Co  
GRIMMER & Co 1872
LACONS 1896
WHITBREAD   
Licensees :
WARD & SEAMAN
Wine, Spirit & Porter Shop
1. St John's Maddermarket
1842
ROBERT SEAMAN 1845
SAMUEL & FREDERICK GRIMMER by 1867
SAMUEL GRIMMER 1874
ERNEST BUTCHER GRIMMER 18.02.1890
LACON & Co 29.12.1896
WILLIAM JAMES ROSE BURRAGE 28.07.1903
ARTHUR WELLINGTON EVERETT 11.06.1907
WILLIAM GEORGE NEEVE 27.11.1907
LEONARD GURR 09.02.1932
MICHAEL FALCON junior 24.05.1932
HARRY BURGESS 26.08.1941
JOSEPH CHARLES EDMUND ALDOUS 01.01.1946
WILLIAM SMITH
(& Dora Smith)
31.12.1946
ALFRED EDWARD STEWARD 15.11.1949
JOHN GEOFFREY CLARKE 12.05.1959
-  



Image kindly donated by Marian ( Smith )
William Smith c1948
Behind the bar of the Shrub House.


Formerly the premises of
WARD & SEAMAN
importers of Foreign Wines & Spirits
Agents for Truman, Hanbury & Co's London Stout Porter


Found as Ye OLD SHRUB HOUSE in 1905.

6 day licence from 1872 to 12.03.1957, when licence removed from the CITY ARMS (and licence of the ORCHARD surrendered).

In 1896 the licensees are given as :-
Ernest de Montesquiou Lacon,
Henry Sidney Hammet Lacon,
Charles James Lucas &
Alfred George Lucas.

c1960

In 1974 the adjoining hatters shop of the world famed Rumsey Wells was incorporated into the licensed premises.
The house closed September 1979 and the original corner bar became a newsagents.

The remaining property reopened c1984 and was known as BLUEBERRIES .
Became the RUMSEY WELLS, by 1985 and then 
the St. ANDREWS TAVERN in 1989.

The RUMSEY WELLS again 2008.

 

House No. 266 on 1845 Magistrates list.