NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
TUCKSWOOD NORWICH F Index P Index
T Index Lakenham
HALL ROAD LAKENHAM FULL LICENCE  CLOSED February 1995
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/3 & PS 1/8/4 ( 1925 - 1965  )
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS  
BULLARDS  
WATNEY MANN  
-  
Licensees :
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRRELL 10.03.1931
BERTIE GEORGE KING 07.04.1931
JAMES GORDON WARD 03.01.1933
HERBERT HENRY SMITH 09.03.1954
ROBIN ANTHONY EDMUNDS 18.11.1958
ARTHUR ALFRED WELLS 20.07.1965
-  
-  

The Tuckswood by George Plunkett - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002 - shown by permission
08.04.1933
Image by George Plunkett - shown by permission - Copyright © G.A.F.Plunkett 2002


Licence of the BUTCHERS ARMS, Ber Street, transferred 10.03.1931.

Known as FRANCO'S PARADISE GARDENS 1992,
but back to the TUCKSWOOD by 1993

Demolished February 1995 to make way for a burger bar and car wash.


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1930's No 6 4 Yes
Example of large inter-war `road' house catering for the family and the traveller. Very large and spacious interior and large car park typical of the period. The mock Tudor facade and the domestic characteristics associated with this style illustrate a shift towards cosiness and respectability and away from the brash and gaudy imagery of the late 19th C pub associated with the vertical drinker.
Bar reflects the `U' shape of the building and is lit by a large skylight with a series of bar areas compartmented by original walls like side chapels at right angles to the bar counter and main area of circulation.
Original central heating radiators.
Original exposed brickwork to arches to bar areas and fireplaces.
Most furnishings and fittings are 1960's and later.