NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
VAUXHALL TAVERN NORWICH V index
47 VAUXHALL STREET
Later 37 Vauxhall Street
HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE CLOSED 2004
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 - 1965)
FREE TRADE Supplied by Steward, Patteson Finch & Co from year commencing November 1839
STEWARD & Co Leasehold owned by Steward, Patteson Finch & Co from year commencing November 1848
WILLIAM BALLS by 1867
BULLARDS 1878 
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
PHOENIX INNS Offered for sale June 1996 - £95,000
Licensees :
-
WILLIAM CLEMENTS 1830 - 1846
WILLIAM BALLS 1850
HENRY SCOTT 1854
HANNAH WILSON according to Craven 1856
(Hannah Wilison according to Melville 1856)
1856 - 1858
CHARLES BUNN 1859 - 1865
WILLIAM BALLS by 1867
ROBERT LINSTEAD 28.07.1874
JOHN KING 01.02.1875
WALTER WHALL 19.01.1904
HORACE UNDERWOOD 15.01.1907
ELIJAH BETTS 05.04.1907
JAMES HENRY WOODS 13.10.1908
FRANK EDWARD THURSTON 11.06.1912
ETHEL THURSTON 26.08.1924
FREDERICK JOHN MURRELL 23.11.1926
Demolished by enemy action 18.02.1941
DOUGLAS ARTHUR OLIVER BAKER 06.05.1941
HERBERT WILLIAM BATCH 14.06.1960
EDWARD KENDLE THACKERY
(Brewery representative)
11.02.1969
JOYCE & GEORGE THOMAS SAUNDERS 18.11.1969
JOHN THOMAS WHITTAM 08.02.1972
ALAN BLAND 22.02.1975
PERCY EDGAR RUSH
(Brewery representative)
06.01.1976
.Mrs JAN WRIGHT
(manager)
by 02.1976
DENNIS RADLEY 10.10.1978
GEORGE SAUNDERS 28.04.1981
WALTER EDWARD FLETCHER 08.02.1988
MALCOLM LAWRENCE TAYLOR 15.05.1994
MALCOLM LAWRENCE TAYLOR &
GEORGE TAYLOR
14.02.1995
MURIEL GLADYS TAYLOR 19.09.1995
ANTHONY KNOTT &
MARCIA KNOTT
12.03.1996
Closed 1997 - 1998 - Reopened as WRESTLERS
JULIA SARAH SMITH &
PATRICK JOHN SIMMONS
13.10.1998
JULIA SARAH SMITH 08.12.1998
Closed 2000 - Reopened as DIXIES, later SLIPPERY's
DAVID BREEN-TURNER 14.12.2000


Lot 4 in sale held Saturday 30th May 1835 upon the direction of the proprietor Mr. Howell along with properties in Norwich (St John Timberhill, St Martin at Oak, St Peter Mancroft, St Gregory), Hellesdon, Wymondham and Acle.
Then described as the VAUXHALL GARDENS, New and Substantial containing several large and excellent drinking and club rooms, with extensive Pleasure Gardens, covered Play Ground and other conveniences.

Forthcoming Sale by Auction advertised May 1848.
The ROSE & CROWN, OLD GOAT(with Brewery), and the TUMBLE DOWN DICK  also being included in the sales notice.


Given as the VAUXHALL GARDENS in S&P Trust Deeds and in directories to at least 1854. The VAUXHALL TAVERN in the Licence Registers by 1893.

Listed at Union Place 1830.
At Julian Place 1835 & 1845

Destroyed by enemy action 18th February 1941.

Rebuilt c1959/60.

Renamed the WRESTLERS 1998.

Renamed DIXIES  December 2000

Renamed SLIPPERY'S November 2001
(Address 37 Vauxhall Street)
Application November 2003 to convert to single dwelling.
CLOSED

 

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Late 1950's -1960's No 5 5 No
Public and lounge bar with retail department in lobby.
Large spacious `L' shaped bar room served by a swept picture frame type bar - melamine counter and wood grained textured paper front.
Large patterned carpet, wood grained wallpaper.
Leatherette bench type seats and matching stools.
Strip lighting, central heating radiators, brick fireplace with brass ornaments on chimney breast.
Very sparcely decorated interior, very large bar rooms, both very typical of the period.
Flat and restrained type of facade relying on different textures and materials for interest.
Unusual copper covered roof.