NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WARWICK ARMS NORWICH W index
2 WARWICK STREET
DOVER STREET
HEIGHAM FULL LICENCE See MAD MOOSE
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/2 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1894 to 1965 )
BULLARDS by 1867
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
-  
ANIMAL INNS as the Mad Moose
G & D Ventures as the Warwick St. Social
Licensees :
PERCY NEALE ETHERIDGE 18.06.1901
JOHN BURTON 30.07.1901
ARTHUR HAWES 13.05.1919
HERBERT FOUNTAIN 07.02.1933
CECIL CATCHPOLE 22.12.1948
PETER ERNEST HAIGH 18.11.1969
MICHAEL EDWARD LUKE 12.03.1974
GEORGE WARD 25.07.1978
ALAN GEOFFREY BURTON 17.03.1981
CHRISTOPHER FIRMAN 08.02.1983
CHRISROPHER WILLIAMS, THOMAS HENDERSON & CAROLINE HENDERSON 13.10.1987
NICHOLAS RAY &
CHRISTOPHRER RAY
25.04.1995
HENRY WILKINS & MATTHEW PEPLOW 19.09.1995
House closed to reopen 23rd November 1995 as the
MAD MOOSE


c1984
c1984

Located on the junction of Warwick Street and Dover Street.

Mr. Pinn of the SUFFOLK ARMS, applied at the licensing session Friday 24th August 1900, for provisional removal of his licence to new premises to be erected in South Heigham. A full provisional licence for the new house was also requested. Objections were dismissed and the justices decided to reserve their decision.

Removal from the SUFFOLK ARMS to these premises confirmed 07.05.1901
( Application for licence removal to new premises had been reported in the Norfolk Chronicle of 25.08.1900 ).

The house reopened November 1995 following some weeks of refurbishment. It had been threatened in October 1995 that the name would be changed to BEASTIE O'SHAGGS. However following objections the house emerged as the MAD MOOSE.

Became the WARWICK St. SOCIAL from May 2016


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1900 No 7 3 No
Two late 20thC side extensions and porches added.
Originally two bars converted in late 20th C to single open plan bar with food area.
Features of note: Roof cresting, eaves cornice, pub sign ( wall mounted ), ground floor window, brick string course.
Inside - original cornice.
Single bar room with pool area off.
Formica wood grained bar front, wood panelled bar canopy.
Overall decorative scheme is Tudoresque / Neo Edwardian.
A typical pub of its period.
The facade shows several fashionable arts and crafts style motifs.
The detailing sets it apart from the surrounding houses.