NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE COTTAGE NORWICH W index
18 PENN GROVE St. CLEMENT WITHOUT FULL LICENCE  DEMOLISHED by 15.11.2007
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
FREE TRADE Supplied by Steward & Patteson only during the years November 1838 to 1840. 
SEAMAN by 1867
GRIMMER & Co 1872
LACONS after 1894 : House rebuilt 1903
WHITBREAD  
GREENE KING  
Licensees :
-  
ANN COLLINS 1842
RICHARD POLL / PAUL 1845 - 1846
THOMAS TOWELL
age 59 in 1851
1850 - 1854
ANN TOWELL 1861 - 1864
JEREMIAH CHAPLIN by 1865
WILLIAM COOK ATKINSON 28.07.1968
ELIZABETH ATKINSON 24.06.1879
Convicted 11.03.1885 of allowing consumption out of hours.
Fine 10/- plus 17/6d costs.
ARTHUR BELL 08.05.1900
JOHN SHORTEN 23.07.1907
JOHN WOODHOUSE HOLDEN 13.10.1936
CAROLINE HOLDEN 01.01.1946
WILLIAM SMITH
& Dora Smith
15.11.1949
JOSEPH EDWARD HODGKIN 12.07.1955
WILLIAM JOHN HARWIN 11.02.1958
ROY HARWIN
(Son of W. J. and Christiana [Chrissy] Harwin)
29.04.1971
ROBERT HENRY WYLES 14.06.1983
BARRY MICHAEL BANTHAM 14.02.1984
MICHAEL ROBERT BRAY 15.03.1988
PHILIP STEPHEN HARCOURT 08.08.1989
RICHARD JAMES SPARROW &
BRIAN WORBY
17.03.1992
PETER TONY BUTCHER 07.07.1992
MICHAEL LANSDOWN &
BARRY NIGEL STANLEY
28.09.1993
GEORGE ERNEST MEADS 20.12.1994
IVOR WOODS &
MAUREEN ANN SMITH
14.07.1998
JEFFREY CHARLES JENNINGS 13.04.1999 -
August 2007
More thanks to Marion ( Smith )

William Smith at the White Cottage
(Sidney Warnes is in the background)


The White Cottage - 02.07.1996
02.07.1996

Previous address was 26 Philadelphia Lane.

Image supplied by Marion ( Smith )
c1950


The above photograph shows a date of 1903 above the name board.

Closed Sunday 19th August 2007
due to retirement of licensee.

Future uncertain

 

DEMOLISHED by 15th November 2007


  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
Late 19th C No 4 4 No
1960's flat roof ground floor extension.
Modern toilet block at rear.
Central bar with four drinking areas - Originally several bars.
Two original etched glass windows saying `Smoke Room'.
Unremarkable local.