NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHIFFLER NORWICH Hellesdon
W index
121 BOUNDARY ROAD HELLESDON FULL LICENCE  
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTER PS 1/8/3 to PS 1/8/4 ( 1925 to 1965 )
YOUNGS, CRAWSHAY & YOUNGS 1938
BULLARDS 1958
WATNEY MANN 1967
NORWICH BREWERY  
-  
J. D. WEATHERSPOON of Watford - 1999
Licensees :
WILLIAM GEORGE TYRRELL
( brewers representative )
05.03.1938
AUBREY JOHN ATTOE 18.11.1939
Mr. & Mrs GORDON. M. COOKE 1965
HARRY CHAPPELL-HYAMS c1970
DEREK DOBBS 19.10.1972
PERCY EDGAR RUSH 02.09.1975
DIANE & LEONARD GEORGE CHAPMAN 08.06.1976
PERCY EDGAR RUSH 25.04.1978
PETER ANTHONY FOREMAN 12.06.1979
PERCY EDGAR RUSH 22.04.1980
NICHOLAS ROBERT BLOOM 21.07.1981
NEIL ALFRED HAMMANT 05.01.1982
MICHAEL JOHN FOX 30.11.1982
MICHAEL JOHN FOX &
THOMAS ARMITAGE
26.04.1994
MICHAEL FOX & DANNY WILSHAW 11.04.1995
ANDREW SWIFT & PETER COVERDALE 09.05.2000
-  



Built by Youngs, Crawshay & Youngs 1938.

Licence of Mattishall CROSS KEYS transferred to this house 05.03.1938 and the licence of the ROYAL OAK, Aylsham was surrendered without Compensation.

`Extensively modernised - doubling the public area of the house - reopened April 1965 ' according to the RED BARREL, the Watney house magazine ( Vol 5 No 4 ).

Licensee Cooke was a war time member of 617 Squadron, RAF - The Dam Busters.

Application reported 03.05.1996 for demolition and building of a retail unit. Plans said to be `dropped' September 1996.

Reopened 20th January 1999 as a J. D. Weatherspoon house following a reported £500,000 refit.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1930's No 5 2 No
New front and extension at side with flat roof - 1970's.
Modern fittings throughout.
No definite rooms. The area is sectioned to give the feel of separate rooms.