NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
WHITE LION NORWICH W index
White Lion
73 OAK STREET St MARTIN AT OAK FULL LICENCE -
NORWICH LICENCE REGISTERS PS 1/8/1 to PS 1/8/4 (1867 to 1965)
St. MARTINS BREWERY A leasehold property - offered for sale 1794. The White Lion - c1970
WHITE LION BREWERY c1830 - 1842
BURCHAM as given 1845
BULLARDS by 1867
WATNEY MANN  
NORWICH BREWERY  
FREEHOUSE from 1975
TAP & SPILE 05.1990 (Brent Walker Inns & Retail)
PUBMASTER by 1997
ENTERPRISE INNS by 2000 (Titanic Leisure leaseholders in July 2000)
MILTON BREWERY of Cambridge from September 2008
Licensees :
-  
JOHN GAPP
clothier
1760 - 1764
WILLIAM WOODS 1783 - 1798
AESOP HILL 1806 - 1807
THOMAS MARTIN 1810 - 1811
BENJAMIN GRIFFIN 1822
JAMES BUTCHER
& brewer
1836 - 1842
WILLIAM BARBER 1845
CARDINAL WOLSEY 1850
JOHN MACE 1851
WILLIAM TAYLOR 1852
WILLIAM HOWMAN
also as Housman and Hawman
1853 - 1861
S. CALEY 1865
GEORGE KEY 24.06.1865
Accused 10.07.1866 of being open out of hours.
JOHN STATES 01.05.1871
SARAH STATES 22.11.1887
WILLIAM PYE COULSON 28.06.1892
WALTER ROBERT PRATT 18.12.1900
JOHN CASTLETON 12.11.1901
WILLIAM HILL 19.01.1904
GEORGE WALTER PRATT 11.10.1904
GEORGE FREDERICK DANCOCK 1907
JAMES ROBERT COWLES 19.11.1935
JOHN THOMAS SWIFT
( Alice and Jack Swift)
28.04.1964
ETHEL & ALEXANDER RATCLIFFE 07.01.1975
HY KURZNER & COLIN PHILIPS 10.06.1980
HY KURZNER 28.04.1981
COLIN R. KEATLEY 15.06.1982
JAMES & JUNE KIDNEY 11.1989
JAMES KIDNEY & MARTIN CARFOOT 1994
BELLA & JAMES ROYLE 06.1995
JENNIFER WATT & ALAN ALDRED 02.1998
PHIL & YVONNE THACKER
managers
1998
BELLA PICKSTONE by 17.09.1999
COLIN THOMPSON 12.1999
ANDREW HUMPHREYS 01.2000
NICHOLAS RAY 03.2000
BETH DANIELS & T. CASSON 09.2000
RODERICK MULCAHY by 2005
ANNA MARIA & RALPH HOLLAND 09.2008
BEN ACKERS &
BECKY LAKEMAN-TURNER
September 2011
   


 
Building dates back to 1558.

The White Lion Brewery is recorded from 1830 to early 1840s, run by James Butcher.


Known by the 1930s as DANCOCKS, after the then long serving landlord.


Damaged by enemy action 27/29.04.1942.
(The adjoining property was destroyed and rebuilt as a single storey building. This was used as a hairdressers salon. Later this building was incorporated into the WHITE LION).

A freehouse from 1975 and offering a wide range of ales from 1982.
Refurbished in 1980's including removing the ground floor cellar to a building in the yard and converting the old cellar into a third bar.

Following a change of owners in 1988, the house passed to Brent Walker and by 1990 was trading under the name of TAP & SPILE from 30th May 1990.

Returned as the OLD WHITE LION 16th July 1997.

Closed January 1998 and re-opened February 1998 after `a lick of paint'.

Closed and boarded up April 2005

REOPENED 29th September 2008
under the ownership of the Cambridge Milton Brewery.

The WHITE LION again.

  The Norwich Pub Survey of 1986, compiled by the Norwich Society, in association with Norwich City Council, assessed the house:-  
 
Approx date of building Listed Quality Pre-war fittings surviving
External Internal
1600's No 5 4 No
Two rooms - Bar and lounge.
Modern fittings throughout.
Original brick fireplace on first floor.