|NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES|
William Ringer, son of Sarah Ringer `went on to build the Britannica Beer House in Spitalfields, London........famous as being the place that Mary Kelly, one of Jack The Ripper's victims, was seen on the day she was murdered....' Thanks to Anne Ringer for the info. 14.09.02
The remains of the original house are evident in the truncated chimney stack visible at the extreme right of the image.
Original house dates from 17thC.
Owned by William Lain in 1806
and by W. Clarke in 1872.
Shown on Bryant's 1826 map.
Also found as the BLUE BOAR & as the
The house was leased by Cann & Clarke.
A new lease was taken on by Morgans for 14 years according to an indenture dated 19th September 1896 at the rate of £35 per annum.
( Effective from 11th October 1896 )
The owner was then Edward William Routh Clarke.
The surveyor for Morgans Brewery ( Frederick J. Lacy ) had recommended in a note dated 7th September 1896 that `A fire clause should be added, in the normal way' to the lease.
Edward W. R. Clarke died c1907 and the house is named the TWO BOARS in documents dated 10.10.1907 sent by Morgans to the solicitors representing the late Mr. E.W.R. Clarke.
Original thatched house was damaged by fire -
on the first Sunday in May 1926.
The licence was moved to the smithy next door until a roof was put over the remains of the old house, forming a single storey building. Trade continued in the old premises until a new building, `built' by Mrs Routh Clarke of the Wattlefield estate, was completed alongside.
( Mrs Routh Clarke died 1972 )
At the time of the fire, thatcher Kirkby is said to have moved all the beer barrels to safety, for fear of no beer surviving the fire, owing to the distance that the horse drawn fire engine had to travel from Wymondham.
A `Robin' pear tree stood in the car park until 1987.
The remains of the original building still stand.
Trading as the BOARS by 2016