NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
THREE NAGS FRITTON Index
COMMON DEPWADE HUNDRED FULL LICENCE CLOSED 1982
HENSTEAD & DEPWADE REGISTER taken 9th September 1790 & 11th September 1794
HARLESTON BREWERY Sold to Mr Morse, of Norwich in 1828 for £540
STEWARD & PATTESON Copyhold owned by George Morse. ( per documents dated 1837 to 1851)
WATNEY MANN to closure 1982
Licensees :
-  
JAMES HINCHLEY 1790 - 1794
-  
JOSEPH LEGOOD
Died Q2 1845
1836 - 1845
ELIZABETH STAFF 1850
GEORGE KNIGHTS
age 60 in 1851
Died Q1 1860
1851 - 1860
ELIZABETH KNIGHTS
age 63 in 1861
Died Q3 1864
* 1861
JOSEPH GOLDSMITH 1863 - 1865
CHARLES UNDERWOOD 15.01.1866 - 1869
WALTER WHITMORE
Age 28
1871
SAMUEL SCARLET
( Died Q1 1897 - age 69 ? )
1875 - 1877
FRANCIS WARD
age 53 in 1881
Went to Hardwick ROSE & CROWN
1879 - 1883
GEORGE CUNNINGHAM
( Died June 1934 - age 88 ? )
1888
GEORGE TIBBENHAM
( Died June 1922 - age 79 )
1890
HENRY ELSEY
( Henry Elsie 1892)
( Died June 1927 - age 84 )
1891 - 1912
FREDERICK GEORGE GRAY
( Died March 1973 - age 89 )
1916 - 1925
ARTHUR GEORGE FREDERICK GRAY
( Died December 1954 - age 74 )
1929 - 1937
JAMES JUBILEE ELMAR
& wife Daisy
James died September 1963 - age 76 )
1940's to 1963
DAISY MILDRED MAUD ELMAR
Died December 1982 - age 83
to closure 1982

The Three Nags - Fritton - 1949 : Shown with the permission of Seth Reeder Dated 1949.
The large sign above the door
says
-
'James J Elmar, Fully Licensed' .
An aerial view c1963 Aerial view c1963

Recorded 1775.

Appears as the NAGS HEAD on Bryants 1826 map and in directories 1836 & 1879.

NAGS 1881

A thatched building and one of the last Norfolk houses to retain the service `Wicket' , a serving hatch. No bar

Lavatories were built onto the back of the building in the 1960's - access being provided from inside the building for the first time.

 


Seth Reeder, who was born in the house, advises that Fred Gray was also a butcher, specialising in pigs. The wicket was initially constructed to separate the room for hanging carcasses from the public area.

The cellar was at ground level in a lean-to brick extension to the main house. Beer was carried from the cellar in jugs and then served as demanded at the tables.


James Elmar had been seriously injured during the First World War, suffering loss of an eye and fibrosis of the spine.

The house closed 1982 following the death of Daisy

 
     
  Donald Steward of Steward & Patteson and Daisy Elmar Daisy Elmar with Donald Steward (of S&P). It looks like he's after HER autograph.
  Note the high backed settle.   Also note the USAF aircraft pictured on the wall. Hardwick Aerodrome, an American Base, was nearby and many of its servicemen frequented the house.  
 
     
  The Three Nags sign during the
Steward and Patteson era.

Watney's supplied a new sign which did not have the horses on it, they instead chose to depict 3 old women.
Daisy Elmar was outraged ( you think sexism is new ), she refused point bank to allow the sign to be hung. Watneys admitted that the sign-writer employed could not paint horses! Daisy got horses, `but they were never as good as the ones portrayed on the S&P sign'
The S&P sign c1960 : Courtesy of Seth Reeder