NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
ANGEL HOTEL Gt. YARMOUTH A index
Angel
27 MARKET PLACE
ROW 44
MARKET WARD FULL LICENCE DEMOLISHED 1957
Gt. YARMOUTH LICENCE REGISTERS Y/CJ/31 - Y/CJ/32 (February 1903 - February 1953)
Free trade as suggested 1819
WORTHINGTON & Co  
Licensees :
-
THOMAS DAWSON from 06.12.1737
SAMUEL FOREMAN
(Went to KINGS HEAD, Market Place as reported 26.05.1750)
here May 1746 to 1750
-  
HENRY RAVEN to October 1802
CHARLES BROWN
(Previously at Duke's Head, Quay)
27.10.1802
ROBERT WARNER
(Previously at Kings Head, Bungay)
25.03.1808 - 1822
THOMAS ROE
Died July 1828 "after a very short indisposition".
April 1822 - 1828
JOHN BROWNE
age 50 in 1851
by July 1829 - 1851
CHARLES BROWN 1854
JOHN BROWNE
(John Brown 1856 & 1859)
Died June 1860
1856 - 1859
JOHN GARRATT
Age 50 in 1871
(Wife Maria age 38 and eight children)
1861 - 1879
MARIA GARRETT
Mistress of Hotel
1881
E GARRETT
(Angel Hotel TAP - Row 44)
1886
E CANDLER 1886
WILLIAM SHALES 1888 - 1892
J GILLINGS
(Angel Tap)
1894
JOSEPH STEELE 1900 - 1901
GEORGE ALBERT BILTON 17.05.1901
(Thomas Jenkins) (1904)
SEPTIMUS BEVEN 11.10.1907
Mrs THOMAS JENKINS
(Proprietor - not found as licensee in registers) 
1908 - 1909
WALTER FIRTH CARNLEY 05.01.1917
HENRY MICHAEL EMERY 14.11.1922

John Browne of the Angel Inn married Susan, daughter of Mr. Jonathan Boast of the Bear Inn, 29th October, 1829.


The Angel Hotel c1930 with Backs (PRINCE REGENT) to the left.

Family & Commercial Hotel.
Dated from at least 1652.

Located on  the SE corner of Row 44, Howard Street and faced the Market Place. It was one of Gt. Yarmouth's oldest inns.

John Sheall leased the house to Thomas Dawson, for one year, from 6th December 1737.

An auction sale took place here 24th May 1746.

January 5th 1804 - Captain Dickens of the Shropshire militia took on a considerable wager to walk the 47 miles from the Angel Norwich to the Angel Gt. Yarmouth and return, within 12 hours. He performed the task with apparent ease completing the journey in 11 hours and a half.

Amelia Cattermoul, kitchen-maid to Robert Warner was charged November 1809 of stealing sundry items of apparel, patterns, etc., from Gentlemen travellers frequenting the respectable house.

6th April 1822 - Mr. R. Warner thanked the Nobility, Gentry, Commercial Gentlemen and the Public for their Patronage over the past years and recommended Mr. Roe, who had taken possession of the Inn.

Thomas Roe thanked the Nobility, Gentry and Commercial Gentlemen for the favours they had received sine he entered the Inn - 31st May 1823.

June 1833 - John Browne advised that he had made considerable improvements and greatly enlarged the Premises by adding the adjoining house.

The Executors of the late Mr. John Browne, deceased, instructed the sale by auction, of the Angel Family and Commercial Hotel, to take place on Wednesday 11th July 1860.
The premises comprised:-
On the ground floor:
Excellent commercial and coffee rooms in front, a luggage room, glass closet, spirit bar, bar parlour, keeping room, larder, a large kitchen, recently fitted up with a patent kitchener, steaming apparatus and every convenience for business; a knife house and coal cellar.
The Basement:
Wine and beer cellars.
Second Floor:
Three front parlours with moveable partitions to form a large dining room; four best bed-rooms, linen and glass closet.
Upper Floor:
Twenty excellent bed-rooms, a sitting room and water closet; at the back is a newly erected and substantial building, only just completed, containing noble and lofty Commercial Show Rooms and Billiard Room, with water closet and lavatory; eight excellent chambers' sitting rooms, vestibule and water closet, approached by a handsome staircase.
In the Yard.
A Tap consisting of a spirit shop, with private entrance, a parlour, tap room, two chambers and water closet and good ale cellars beneath.
Freehold.

At the Sessions, 17th April 1903,  it was heard that plans submitted to the Sanitary Authority had been passed, but since they had not been deposited with the Magistrates within the previous fourteen days, the extensive works could not be approved. The alterations included improvements to the billiard room and stock room. The removal of the Angel Tap and its bar, included in the plans, had already been completed.
Hearing that the removal of the `objectionable' bar on Angel Row would be a great improvement, it was proposed to inspect the premises the following day.
Following the inspection, the plans were approved.


Licence removed 14.04.1939 to the PRINCE REGENT, Market Place.

Became the British Restaurant 1942, serving
`Good cheap food at lunchtimes'.

Original building demolished July 1957.

See page 76 of `Gt. Yarmouth Archive Photos', pub. 1995