Lacons brewery and the delivery drays.
Brewery founded 1640 by Jeffery Ward.
John Laycon married Elizabeth Ward. She was the daughter of Robert Ward, born 1710, who owned the brewery at the time of the marriage.
John Lacon inherited the brewery through his wife (1760) and lived in a house, by the brewery, demolished in 1868, and where the arched gateway was built.
A railway siding was built to the brewery in 1868.
John was succeeded by Sir Edmund Lacon, who had been made a baron by the able way he had put down disturbances in the district.
His son, Sir Edmund Knowles Lacon, Mayor and MP for Yarmouth then followed. He had escorted Nelson to the Wrestlers Inn when known as Captain E. K. Lacon.
By 1937 John W. E. Lacon was in control of the company.

Registered as Lacon & Co Ltd. April 1894.

Foundation stone of the new brewery was laid 15th June 1895.

354 tied houses.
(50 London premises by 1850)
(171 pubs in Gt. Yarmouth by 1936)

Whitbread purchased a 20% share holding in 1957.

Whitbread & Co Ltd took over 19th November 1965 at a reported purchase price of £3.2 Million.

Brewery closed February 28th 1968.

The brewery stores was the last building to survive. It was demolished in 1997 to allow a supermarket to be built on site.

E. Lacon & Co Ltd
1 & 2 Market Place

& offices built 1885 at
Row 21
Howard Street.

E. Lacon & Co.
Row 2
Rampart Road.

E. Lacon & Co Ltd
9 Church Plain
Market Place
Brewers & Wine & Spirit Merchants

Tel: No. 12 (in 1934)

E. Lacon & Co Ltd
Rows 13 - 17
George Street
North Quay.


Rows 14 - 21
George Street.







See p. 84 of ` Gt. Yarmouth In Old Photographs ' pub 1994
See p. 19 of ` Archive photographs - Gt. Yarmouth ' pub 1995
See p. 60, 62, 63 & 81 of ` Gt. Yarmouth A Second Selection' pub 1996


On Saturday 3rd November 1838 a `Billy Boy' belonging to Sir E. K. Lacon, Bart. set off from Yarmouth bound for London. Off Harwich the vessel, loaded with a cargo of ale, was caught in a storm and driven out into the North Sea. When the weather moderated the crew found that much water had been taken and the vessel was too heavy. They were obliged to throw 17 barrels of Treble X ale overboard. Land was made at Cromer and the vessel arrived in the Yarmouth roads on Tuesday 6th November.

On Wednesday 7th June 1849, two boys were charged before the Mayor, with having let off some rockets, one of which had entered a top window of Sir E. H. K. Lacon and Co.'s brewery. On a policeman going up, the floor was found just about to burst into a blaze, and had not prompt attention been paid to extinguishing it, the consequences might have been exceedingly dangerous in such valuable premises. The Mayor stated it as his opinion, that the fault of such an accident rested vastly more on the parties who sold the fireworks than the boys who bought them; and Mrs. Baldwin, who resides in Gaol-street, the vendor of these dangerous articles, was ordered before the Bench, when his Worship told her, he had the power of inflicting the fine of £5 on her, but he would give her one chance, which was that she should pay into the poor-box 5s., and allow a policeman to accompany her home, and see all her remaining stock packed-off and sent of the town within a few hours. The alternative was a £5 fine.
After much hesitation Mrs Baldwin agreed to the first proposition with very bad grace.
The boys were ordered to pay the Court fees between them.

  In March 1903, a Troll Cart, said to be over one hundred years old and bearing the name Lacon on the shafts, was secured by the Tolhouse Museum. Many years previously, it had been exhibited at the Crystal Palace