NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
JACOB'S BOAT Gt. YARMOUTH F index
J index
Near HARBOUR ENTRANCE   - CLOSED
PAGET as given 1819
   
   
Licensees :
-
FRANCIS MACKERNESS
Gunner & Sutler
? to 1753
-  
ALEXANDER JAMES
(Fort)
1819
   
SAMUEL LIMMER 1844 - 1845
-  





  The will of Francis Mackerness, dated 1753, records him as gunner and sutler at the Fort at the Haven's mouth.
<Sutler = Civilian merchant or victualler ?>
 
     
  In May 1824, Margaret, wife of Mr. Alexander James, master gunner, died aged 61.  
  Alexander James "for many years commander of the fort" died `lately' May 1832, age 79  



The Elizabethan map of c1570 shows a single building positioned near the harbour mouth. This is possibly the Jacob's Boat.

In 1653 a fort was built on South Denes to defend the harbour. Later illustrations show a building, not unlike that shown in c1570, completely contained within the walls.

It is recorded that the keeper of the fort resided in a property licensed as a public house.

The Hull of the Johanna Salome, a very large Prussian built Galiot Hoy, was to be sold at the Jacob's Boat, Tuesday, 22nd January 1771.
All her Masts, Yards, Sails, Anchors, Cables and Materials were to be sold in small lots.
Location given as "Near the Haven's Mouth"

Appears as the FORT in 1819 on a list of Yarmouth Licensed Premises - Ref YS 10/1 page 9 - Denes and Seaside. Presumably the licence being issued to the fort commander under that name.


On Monday 30th April 1832 the southern bastion of the fort was undermined by the sea, making a breach of at least 10 feet. The flanks, only attached to the curtain by a slender thread, were expected to soon fall. In 1834 the fort was demolished.

In February 1859 it was reported that the old battery to the south had already been covered in turf and would present a very pretty appearance in the summer

In 1859 four acres of ground were purchased by the government for the purpose of erecting a gun battery, intended to protect the Harbour and Roadstead. The area was said to include that of the old fort and the Jacob's Boat .
(An article published in the Yarmouth Journal in 1933 claimed that the Jacob's Boat was demolished  at the time the fort was demolished, 1834)
.
(The battery was never built.)

< On 24th November 1829, at about half past eight in the morning, the Hammond, a vessel loaded with coal from Newcastle, grounded some 3 to 400 yards from the shore during a violent and tremendous gale. By the afternoon a rope had been sent across, but the sling attached could not get closer to the vessel than 15 or 20 yards. One by one the crew took to the rope and succeeded getting to the sling and were pulled to shore. The carpenter however lost his grip and fell to the sea and was lost. In the evening the vessel began to break up and 7 men were cast into the sea and presumed to have perished. At about seven o'clock, a Custom's man named Smith reported to the Fort public-house that he had heard a groan coming from the wreck. Mr. Sharman, who had care of the Nelson's Monument, attached to a rope, waded out to where the wreck drifted. It was snowing and in the complete darkness he found a man clinging to the breast-hook. The man and his rescuer were pulled safely back to shore by Smith. The bodies of those lost came to shore and were taken to the Fort public-house where every attempt at resuscitation was tried, but the deadly cold and exposure proved the attempts to no avail.

On 21st October 1833, the Courier Steam Packet ran onto the beach, near the fort, and filled with water. Nearly all the goods were landed, most of them wet.

As advertised 11th January 1834 - By Order of the Honourable Board of Ordnance at Yarmouth, the Materials of the Old Fort and Buildings within it, were to be Sold. Tenders were to be handed in by or before 30th January 1834

It was reported 17th April 1834 that Lieutenant Luke, of the Royal Artillery had completed his work at the Yarmouth Fort and embarked, with his party of Royal Artillery, onto the Ebenezer Ordnance Hoy, with the last cargo of ordnance, stores, &c., and sailed for Woolwich. With high tides, deep sand and strong N. E. winds, the whole party having lately returned from service in the West Indies, the cold had been much felt. The fort being pulled down, having been sold by the Honourable Board of Ordnance for £162, to be cleared away by August.>



Thanks to Colin Tooke and Steve Smith for their assistance with this house. 07.2020