Plumbers Arms
STEWARD & Co Freehold owned by George Morse - First supplied during the year 1848 - 1849
Licensees :
REUBEN WIDDOWS 1830 - 1836
age 41 in 1851
1850 - 1875
Full licence lost 1862.
Licence application 25th August 1863 - Refused
Mrs SARAH HEWING 1879 - 1881

William Middleton is given by White at this house in 1845, but also at the LORD NELSON, Princes Street.
In 1859, a Mr. Hewing is said to be the keeper of the same LORD NELSON

Plumbers Arms Yard still exists.

George Olley, a married man, accused Archibald Maltman of assaulting him in the Plumbers Arms on the night of Saturday 12th March 1859. The argument was about money and a girl they both had cohabited with. Both parties were lectured severely and the landlord was cautioned.

At the Annual licensing Meeting, Tuesday 30th August 1859, the licence was renewed, but reservations were voiced by some magistrates as to the character of the house.
Licensee Ewing said that he had been at the house for sixteen years without complaint and refuted that the house was used as a brothel. The two young ladies who had been lodging there were only known to him by their Christian names. Police-constable Melbourne said he had never witnessed anything disorderly or riotous at the property.


At the sessions held 19th August 1862 the licensee was one of many who were reprimanded for omitting to assist the police, were in the habit of allowing prostitutes to assemble or conducted themselves in a manner that, although they had not been summoned or fined, yet were considered by the magistrates to be improper persons to be entrusted with licenses.
Mr. Hewing was admonished for allowing prostitutes to assemble at his house and his license was refused. It seems business carried on as a beerhouse from then on.

John Hall, of Icehouse Lane, was accused in court, Tuesday 29th August 1865, of having entered the house on the previous evening and assaulting the licensee, Joseph Hewing. It was heard that Hall had called for a glass of beer and became very violent, threatening to draw the beer himself and to rob the till. On being advised that he would be given into custody, he ran from the house and returned with a policeman, in whose presence he assaulted Hewing.
He received a fine of 5s and 8s 6d costs, or seven days imprisonment.

It was reported Saturday 2nd July 1870 that on 18th May, Joseph Hewing had visited a house in Sardinian Court, drinking and smoking with a man named William Fairweather. Hewing said that he went upstairs to count his money and paid 29 year old Ellen Chapman a shilling for use of the room upon coming downstairs. He then finished his beer and became unwell, so went back upstairs and fell asleep until seven in the morning when he found his money (£64) gone.
The police found Fairweather and Chapman in an untenanted house in Pipe Burners yard. The latter handed over six sovereigns which she said had been given to her by Hewing for gratification of his passions. A purse containing £40 was found at Sardinian Court as was a phial labelled Laudanum and when searched at the police station, a further half sovereign and 8s were found on Chapman.
Although Hewing was accused of only going to the house to associate with loose women and should have been at home with his wife, both Fairweather and Chapman were found guilty of theft and each received 18 months hard labour. Their appearance appeared to show that they were familiar with the effects of Laudenham.

It was reported 16th March 1872 that Joseph Dewing had been summoned on Wednesday 13th March for having his house open for the sale of beers at illegal hours on the night of 10th March.
Constable Scott had discovered a man and two youths in a room with a pot of beer and glasses. When the constable re-entered the house, accompanied by P.C. Wiles, the landlord confirmed that he knew what the time was and was said to have then poured himself a glass of porter.
The P.C. Scott confirmed he had first gained entry having seen lights on, but that the curtains were drawn and the doors were locked.
It was heard that the man was the brother-in-law of the landlord and was accompanied by his two sons. They were there to see the landlady who had been ill. The claim by Wiles, that the landlord had poured himself a glass of porter, was said to have been made to add colour to the proceedings, since he had yet to learn that a publican could not drink a glass of beer after hours.
The Magistrates dismissed the case.

For Sale by Auction Wednesday 3rd August 1881, a Freehold property lately known as the PLUMBER'S ARMS. Easily convertible into Trade Premises. In the occupation of Mrs. Sarah Hewing and containing Bar and Tap-room, Snuggery, two Sitting-rooms, passage with access to the Yard, leading to Waggon and Horses Yard; Scullery, Wash-house, Privy, Coal-house, back passage to Garden, formerly used as a Skittle Ground; also Privy. On the First Floor, Landing, front Sitting-room and five Bed-rooms. On the second floor, Landing and two Bed-rooms. Also a Two-stalled Stable.

See page 66 of `Norwich In Old Postcards' published 1992