NORFOLK PUBLIC HOUSES norfolkpubs.co.uk
NORFOLK NORWICH GT. YARMOUTH KINGS LYNN NAME SEARCH PUBLICATIONS LINKS MYSTERY HOME
LION & CASTLE NORWICH L index
Lion & Castle
GAOL HILL ? St PETER MANCROFT - CLOSED
-  
Licensees :
-  
ROBERT CHIDDICK 1792
-
Mr. J. G. ANSELL
(Castle & Lion)
1820
-  



Location given as `Opposite the Hall in the Market Place' when Robert Chiddick informed the Public, 25th January 1792, that he had taken the house. (Previously at the PORTER HOUSE )

Given as Gaol Hill in 1801.

Advertised for sale by auction in the Norfolk Chronicle of
29th January 1820........`That well accustomed inn situate in St. Peter Mancroft......fronting the Castle Ditches, whereon the Cattle Market is he (Previously at the PORTER HOUSE, ld, now in the occupation of Mr. J. G. Ansell.............The above has been used as a Market House, considered to be one of the best frequented inns in the City for more than 50 years...'

Proximity to the Cattle Market suggests that this could be the same house described at St. John Timberhill ?

See also  CASTLE & LION